Only 10% of questions on the exam paper are maths???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
glosguy

Only 10% of questions on the exam paper are maths???

Post by glosguy »

Not sure how true this is but its doing the rounds. Anyone confirm this??

:?
mum23*

Re: Only 10% of questions on the exam paper are maths???

Post by mum23* »

Hi there
As far as I am aware, the questions are of a similar nature and mix to the VR papers available for practice which is what..60 40 eng to maths ish. Some questions are a mix really aren't they?

I don't know where the other info that you say is "doing the rounds" is from so can't comment but it would seem strange to change the papers significantly.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

I sincerely hope not..having a DS who is maths and codes orientated, a heavily weighted English paper might be enough to cripple his chances.

However, as I mentioned on another post, the new GL Assessment papers are heavier on the English type questions and harder than last set of papers they produced commercially. Milla pointed out, perhaps there will be a shift towards more English, which favours girls apparently, as the boys appeared to out performed the girls last year (2:1 Pates intake) plus lots of unfilled places at Ribston.

Who knows and even if we did know...what can we do about it now? :?
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Ditto EE...my boy would be seriously :shock: if that was the case.....
Noooooooooooo...closing my ears "la,la,la,la"..
glosguy

Post by glosguy »

Sorry for the concern. Im in the same boat! :(

Just wanted some clarification but It looks like I was wrongly informed :?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

the new GL Assessment papers are heavier on the English type questions
There are no new GL papers! Letts and GL have severed their ties and Letts have produced their own papers.
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

Don't really understand what we are saying here :?

Can anyone enlighten me on which papers we are referring to?

We have done papers A & B which came in a pack with papers C & D from Waterstones and they have Letts Educational Ltd CODE 020/10 at the bottom of the instructions page. First question on paper A was moving a letter from "fleet" to "fat".

Are these the GL papers under a new name and does GL set the papers for the Gloucestershire grammar tests?

I had felt that these Letts papers were more English based and didn't seem to cover so many of the 21 type questions. Did not like them so much as we are probably better on Maths so hope they are not the writers. :o :roll:
tigger

Post by tigger »

Tessie Bear - If you look at the Book Shop tab above, there is more information regarding NFER/GL papers as well as Letts . The Tommies prospectus confirms that NFER set the tests.

I have just checked through the GL Assessment 11A paper and it has the exact same type of questions as in the new Letts paper Practice Test A.
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

Thanks for that Tigger and have just looked through information in Book Shop tab.

I think I understand it and that we have probably done the new Letts 2010 ones.

However if you say they seem the same types used as the old NFER/GL Assessment ones then it looks like there will be more emphasis on English based questions out of the Type 21 than on the Maths and coding questions compared to the Susan Daughtrey and Walsh papers which is a shame.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Im not too worried about the types of questions. I'm just hoping ds1 knows the answer's :lol: :lol: 8)
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.