Willmington Grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dartford Dad

Willmington Grammer

Post by Dartford Dad »

Hi, my wife and I are looking for some information on Dartford schools. After visiting our Daughters headteacher we were delighted to find that she thought our girl could pass her 11+ exam. Although the Head did warn us that she was borderline and would need to practice hard between now and January, which she is doing.
Now, if she does not pass the 11+, then our preferred choice in Dartford would be Leigh City. However our Head told us that if we do not enter Leigh City as first choice then there is absolutely no chance of getting in there. Her advice was to enter Leigh City first followed by our chosen grammar school next, on the assumption that if she passes the 11+ we can appeal the second choice school. We followed this advice but the head has now left the school and we are now worried whether this was the best advice. Any help or advice on here would be great. Regards Simon.
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hello Dartford Dad,

I cannot claim to be an expert but we were strongly advised that you should always put your first choice school first. The idea being that now that the local council allocates the places by your preference then if you pass the 11+ and put Wilmington first you will get Wilmington, if you don't pass you will get Leigh in 2nd place.

If you put Leigh first and then pass the 11+ you will not get Wilmington and as I understand it it is a little more difficult to appeal 'down' although I do know that Wilmington Girls was heavily under filled and at least 30 places were allocated after appeals this year. Perhaps you should post in the Appeals section of the forum. There are a lot of people there who will be able to give you some insight.

Regards,

TM
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi Dartford Dad
It's my understanding that there is no order preference on the CAF form anymore, well at least that's what we were told last year. We put Willmington first and the Leigh second. Our daughter missed out on 11+ by 4 points but we didn't even get the leigh we were allocated Swan Valley, Aarrghhh! hence our daughter at a fab independent school now (although its a struggle financially)

The leigh is massively oversubscribed, a friends daughter who put it first and lives on their doorstep didn't get a place and no one got in on appeal! The headmaster said last year that all applicants are given a number which is randomly selected so I don't think it would matter where you put them on the form, last year was the first time this method was used.

I know you've put in form now but be prepared to think about third choice and alternatives. That said here's hoping your daughter passes11+ and as tired mum says Willmington was under subscribed so there are places for those that qualify and if not all goes to plan there's always the appeal process :?
NKM
jaia

Re: Willmington Grammer

Post by jaia »

Hello North Kent Mum,
Would you mind telling me the independent school your daughter goes to or could you recommend one? This waiting for the results is giving me plenty of time to become less and less confident that my daughter has passed. I am struggling to think of four non selective schools I would be happy to send her to apart from Leigh. We visited it yesterday and I felt that they were saying it is unlikely to you will get a place if you don't attend one of the feeder primary schools which we don't. I am now worrying even more than I was before the 11 plus! As I understand it, putting Leigh first knowing we stand only an outside chance of a place means we are then less likely to be given our second choice as it wasn't first on our list. So if we put Leigh and don't get in we will probably get a school at the bottom of our list which we would hate?
I have woken up this morning thinking we will have to move or find money to fund an independent school.
AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! This is really scary! :?
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

jaia wrote:As I understand it, putting Leigh first knowing we stand only an outside chance of a place means we are then less likely to be given our second choice as it wasn't first on our list. So if we put Leigh and don't get in we will probably get a school at the bottom of our list which we would hate?
Hi Jaia

I understood that if you don't qualify for your first choice for whatever reason, then the second choice becomes your first choice, and then if you do not meet the criteria for that school they will then treat your third choice as the first choice etc. I don't think they can penalise you for not putting a school as your first choice, all advice I have read is to put the schools in actual order that you want them.

Dottie
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Jaia

Not sure if you noticed but the top bit of that thread is nearly 3 years old so not sure if you will get much information from the original posters.

However Dottie is right - if you put a GS first and do not qualify then your next school will be treated as your first choice - the school do not know what you have put.

The only message behind WHICH schools to put is that you have some eligibility eg exam score, distance etc etc
jaia

Post by jaia »

Hello, thank you both for your replies and thank you for pointing out the date of the post I was reponding too!
I think that what I am worried about is that even though the schools don't know what order you put them in, won't it be the case that by the time your first choice has been considered and you have been turned down all the places will possibly have been filled on your second choice and so on? Is it not the case then that you shouldn't risk a first choice that you might not get in case the places are filled in your second choice before they consider you? Sorry if this sounds a muddle, it's just that I am not clear how it can all happen simultaneously and therefore a risky first choice is not a good idea? Gosh, roll on the time when all we have to worry about is who they want to marry instead! ( My main concern is if she doesn't 'pass' and I am really struggling to think of four schools I would be happy to send her too :?)
WP

Post by WP »

No, they really are done simultaneously, and you really need to list them in your true order of preference, not according to which ones are difficult to get into. There's a brief explanation of the process at the bottom of page 8 of the Kent secondary transfer booklet. For more detailed explanations, try these examples: Although these examples refer to schools in those areas (and Hounslow has no grammars), preferences are handled in exactly the same way in all LEAs.
jaia

Re: Willmington Grammar

Post by jaia »

Thank you so much for your reply. It was so kind of you to take the trouble to find thoses links for me.I think I understand it a bit better now. Sorry to have sounded so daft. I think anxiety can stop you being able to think clearly sometimes.
While I am here I would like to add something else. The kindness people have shown in offering advice and support on this forum has been so wonderful. Far from the every man for himself attitude you can find in the playground people have been so generous in sharing their knowledge. I can honestly say my fingers are crossed for everyone on here. I wish that all the available schools felt equally good instead of having to worry about getting a 'good one'. Best wishes to all of us and maybe our paths will cross in a wonderful school in September 2011!
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Hi jaia
just seen your post regarding local indie, i'll pm you the name. Even though my original post was 3 years ago I do occasionally lurk in the background of the forum, its a bit addicitive! Good luck with the 11+ results for your DD.
NKM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now