Girls under more pressure than boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First-timer

Girls under more pressure than boys?

Post by First-timer »

I heard recently that one of the GS I was considering for my daughter has something of an issue with psychological problems (eating disorders, self-harming and the like) to the extent that it employs a counsellor. I have no idea if this is true but am worried nonetheless. Is this true? If so, is it typical of girls' schools in general?
Thanks.
moved

Re: Girls under more pressure than boys?

Post by moved »

Knowing a professional who works in this field children come from a wide variety of schools including private and grammar.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Any reply to these can of course be deemed anecdotal.
However both my older girls are at a high performing local girls' grammar. The eldest has been there several years.As a teacher myself too,(I have taught in all girls' schools ), I can say that the incidences of this appear to be no higher than any other setting in which you would find teenage girls.
Also worth adding that the atmosphere is not a hot house.In fact , as the girls are fairly motivated, if anything, they have more "down time" and more fun because the school knows they will not lose their focus.
Hope that helps :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks, moved. I appreciate that young people presenting with these problems will come from a variety of backgrounds. My concern is more specific. It's the possibility that a school needs to employ a full-time member of staff to deal with the issue that has me worried. I would have similar reservations about sending a child to a school with a permanent police presence. It simply begs the question why such a measure is deemed necessary.

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether anyone can shed any light as to whether it is more likely to be a problem with this particular school (in which case we'll drop it from our list of contenders), girls' schools in general or if it's an issue everywhere. By that I don't mean a few instances in each school but rather a problem to the extent that a member of staff is employed to tackle it.

Again, I would state that the question arises from something I've heard from another parent. It is possible that the information is wrong. The school's website makes no mention of it.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks cm. My post crossed with yours. That'll teach me to type and watch TV at the same time!
marigold

Post by marigold »

I think that a lot of schools of any size probably have some kind of counsellor attached to them, perhaps your source heard of this at the school in question and immediately assumed that it was because of the nature of the school.

Moulsham High in Chelmsford, very far from being a hot house, has a wonderful counselling service available (6th formers can undergo a level of counselling training to help those further down the school ) and this would seem to me a huge positive rather than a negative in a school. If any problems do arise it is reassuring that there is a trained professional close at hand.
I have a daughter at the same school as Chelmsford Mum and although it may be due to my daughter's particular group of friends I have never had a whiff of any of the problems you mention. I would also agree with her comment about the amount of fun and down time they seem to have , very far from a stressed environment.
KB

Post by KB »

I'm sure these problems occur at all schools & I would be pleased to know that a school was treating it seriously rather than leaving the girls to cope without support.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

It would seem that my information registers somewhere on the spectrum that includes exaggeration, rumour, Chinese whispers and mistake!

Those in the know have put aside any misgivings I had about the school in question.

Horse's mouth and all that!

Thanks.