Getting ahead of myself(again!?)..transport.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muminTewkes

Getting ahead of myself(again!?)..transport.

Post by muminTewkes »

Ok,I realise at this moment in time the 11+ is looming and there's little else in the back of my head tbh-thankfully ds1 doesn't seem to be overly caught up in the frenzy!!!
My thoughts are turning to transport.Its an important factor for us(assuming he passes/gets offered a place...I am assuming,for this purpose,he does :D )as he is the oldest of 4 so,although not impossible,it will be difficult to take him by car in normal school hours.
We are in Tewkesbury and I know there is a bus that transports to Pates but does anyone know about Tommys?I cant seem to find any info on this at all....how does/will everyone else cope with the (potential!)travel arrangements?
There seems very few around here that are hoping for a Grammar place :?
Thanks!
hermanmunster

Re: Getting ahead of myself(again!?)..transport.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi mumintewkes, I'm not in your area so hopefully someone who is will come along with the properr answer

- I must admit when I was first looking at senior school I was not aware of alll the transport options - turned out there were loads more buses from all sorts of places that I simply did not realise existed!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

The school will usually supply a list of bus companies/routes with contact details for you to use. They did at the girls grammars anyway, you can usually get these at the induction meeting or possibly at open evening if you want them sooner. Or you can look on Gloucestershire council website under transport link, this has buses routes timetables etc then telephone the bus company if you need to check times, bus stops etc. Some buses do a pick up at or near the school but only once at end of school time, the rest of the time it might mean a walk to the bus station.
cairo

Post by cairo »

I believe Bennett's has a bus that goes from Tewkesbury. DS1 has at least one boy in his class at Tommies that comes from Tewks, so it must be possible.
koalabear

Post by koalabear »

We come from a different direction altogether but just in case, it might be worth trying Denwell 01452 863377. Good luck! I'm sure there will be something available.
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Hello mumintewkes,

Firstly, huge congrats on the fabulous score :D

We are also Tewkes based, and I wondered whether you had got any further with finding out about transport to Tommies? DS scored 218 so may not even get an offer of a place, but I'm wondering whether we could actually get him there even if he was offered a place?! I have phoned Bennetts and they have confirmed that they dont go to Tommies or anywhere near it. Any ideas?
bet77

Post by bet77 »

http://www.bennettscoaches.co.uk/school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... hool-8.php

http://carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowr.asp?RN=GLL08A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bet77 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thankyou Bet77 :D
Candycat -Id not even tried to find out more till today tbh!Too scared to jinx it-well done to your ds too,I hope that should be a good enough score for a place at strs for you,if youre Tewkesbury based too-matbe a possible car share :wink:
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Thanks Bet77. Unfortunately, despite the info on the net, Bennetts will only run the no. 8 service to Denmark Road. I don't know Gloucester well, but the chap at Bennetts advised against walking from Denmark Rd to STRS. All they could suggest was catching a commercial bus from Tewkesbury to the main bus station in Gloucester, and then catching another one from there to STRS. DS can bearly find his way to his cornflakes in the morning, so I fear this is prob not a realistic option for him :roll:

MuminTewkes, car share sounds great. Once we know whether or not DS is offered a place, I'll give you a shout. It occurs to me that if there is anybody else trying to get to STRS from Tewkesbury, they may want to join the party? The more the merrier.....

In the meantime, fingers and everything else crossed until March!
cairo

Post by cairo »

If there's a number of you trying to get from Tewkesbury to Tommies, perhaps you could ask Bennett's to put in an extra stop to accommodate you?

This year, they slightly re-jigged the routes from Cheltenham to Tommies / HSG due to weight of demand from this part of the county. So perhaps not impossible if there's enough of you?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now