Advice Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MOOSHOO15

Advice Please

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

My husband has (since June of this year) had serious health issues requiring hospital admission - last week he had two episodes, with me having to call an ambulance on Friday. Both DDs were understandably very upset. DD2 is taking the test on Saturday. On the surface she seems fine and reasonably relaxed, but I am worried about what is going on underneath that she may not be telling me. She has worked so hard towards Saturday and is normally in the 90%s on her practice papers. I am worried about how all of this will affect her on the day. A friend said that I should inform the relevant authority before Saturday about what has been happening. Do I need to tell anyone before the test or let her take the test and, dependent on the result, tell the relevant body afterwards? Any advice greatly appreciated.
turtleglos

Re: Advice Please

Post by turtleglos »

Hi, Im sorry to hear about your problems. My dcs grandfather passed away unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago. I phoned the school ds1 is taking the test at and they were very reassuring about the care ds1 would receive if he got upset. They did suggest that I put this in writing before the test in case we need to appeal. They also made sure notes were made to inform the invigilators.
I hope this helps.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think turtleglos is probably right. Also I remember having concerns about an issue with my eldest which I put in writing to the authority before the test. I felt that if we had needed to appeal it would have looked less like we had been clutching at straws.

That said I would try not to worry too at this stage as children react differently and are surprisingly resilient in these situations.

If the result is a shock then contact your DD's school immediately and try to find academic proof of any drop in work standards during this period that can be used to support an appeal.
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

Thanks Turtleglos. Sorry to hear about your recent unexpected loss also.

I will 'phone the school now and make them aware of our situation.
moved

Post by moved »

DD broke her finger the week before the 11+. I phoned our GP after the incident just to make sure that it was on her records. Always better before the event rather than afterwards. You will also know that you needn't worry about the 11+ on top of everything else.

We didn't need to use the records as she passed anyway - I'm sure it will be the same for you.

Hope your OH gets better soon.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes if it is medical and pertaining to the child taking the exam it is always worth getting it into the medical records ASAP as the GP does not then have the problem in a few months time of writing:

"this child's mother says that he was unwell at the time of the 11 plus exam, this may have affected his/her performance".... not terribly convincing!