Skinners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentmum1

Skinners

Post by kentmum1 »

Does anyone know this year's cutt-off for Skinners. Would be interested to know as might be doing this all again in 2 years (and again 5 years after that!)
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

For anyone interested, the cutt-off was 404. Last year was 395.

Post by Guest »

why we did not get any information about whether or not my son passed the Kent exam? we only got the letter that confirmed my son doing the exam without saying passing or failing. Maybe because we have accepted an offer from another school which was placed at higher place than Skinner in the CAF?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:why we did not get any information about whether or not my son passed the Kent exam? we only got the letter that confirmed my son doing the exam without saying passing or failing. Maybe because we have accepted an offer from another school which was placed at higher place than Skinner in the CAF?
nobody knows the reason? do we have to ask the Kent LEA?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I know a boy in the same position last year and got offered his first choice school and had Skinners as second choice. They found out the exam info from headteacher. Incidentally, he failed, so they were glad of their first choice!

Post by Guest »

kentmum1 wrote:I know a boy in the same position last year and got offered his first choice school and had Skinners as second choice. They found out the exam info from headteacher. Incidentally, he failed, so they were glad of their first choice!
thx for your info. I just got my son's score today. It is 140,140 and 140.
So proud of him even though I just put skinner at our 5th place in CAF.
Before my son did the the kent test, we were really scared by the high score they required for Judd and skinner. I still remember last year a parent was so gald because his son only lost one point, i.e. 419. I thought it was impossible for my son. But now I know it was not as difficult as we thouhgt to get 420. As you can find from Judd's website, you only need about 75% raw score to get 140 in each paper. Even you get 100 right for one paper, it is still 140, no higher.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I understand how you feel. We put down TW Boys Grammar as it was our first choice. I liked it on a par with Skinners but just felt son would enjoy the former more. However, he passed with a score high enough for Skinners and his best friend is going there. I feel sad that they will be separated as they been have together since Reception and go to a very average achieving state primary school, so have done well. It's very difficult to predict how they will score and one often doesn't want to risk losing another school over this. I just wish they would take the test first and then choose, like in the good old days!
Out-of-area

Skinners

Post by Out-of-area »

Interesting that the top mark of 140 can cover raw scores of between about 75% and 100%. Is it possible to find out your child's raw scores or are the grammar schools informed of these? If I have understood this correctly it seems that there could be quite a difference in ability among pupils with the top mark. Does anyone know what a difference of 25% would amount to in terms of marks?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Forgive me jumping into this thread, but I found the following information from the NFER web site which might explain why it's possible to have so many candidates with scores of close to 140 following Age Standardisation:-
Test Standardisation
Two of the main outcome measures of some of the tests that we construct are the ‘national standardised score’ and the related ‘percentile rank’. These normreferenced measures relate the performance of an individual pupil to that of the population of the country as a whole. Tables that give such comparative data are derived from a national standardisation, which usually involves administering the final version of the test, prior to publication, to a large nationally representative sample.
ie it seems that some 11+ exams tests (including Kent 11+ exams) are not always Age Standardised against the exam Candidate population taking the test but against an assumed theoretical national population of child candidates.

I'm hoping perhaps that a statistician or someone with actuarial training may be able to confirm this.

I may be wrong but it would explain why there are so many high scores with relatively lower raw scores. I think the same may apply to Warwickshire 11+ as well where the pass scores were similarly high than one would expect.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now