Watford Grammar as choice 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ranmis

Watford Grammar as choice 2

Post by ranmis »

As far as I understand, the order in which we put a school as our preference, makes no difference to our chance of getting into a school. Thats because the schools dont know where we have put them on the order of preference. Hence, if I put Watford Grammar as my 2nd preference, I would not be any worse off than if I had put it as 1st preference. It would only depend on the score that my son achieved. If he got a very high score in the test, he would still get an offer, provided he didnt qualify for his 1st choice school. He could still qualify for school 2. Its not that a boy with a lower score than him, but who has watford grammar as choice 1, would have a better chance of getting in.

Someone, please tell me that my understanding is wrong. I got thoroughly confused by the primary school headteacher yesterday, regarding how the process works.
hermanmunster

Re: Watford Grammar as choice 2

Post by hermanmunster »

that is absolutely right - the key bit is the phrase "if he does not qualify for his first choice", if he does then you won't here from Watford - regardless of his score but if he does not get the first choice then his second will be considered to be his first
ranmis

Post by ranmis »

If he gets the 1st choice then why would I be bothered about watford grammar! Its just that the 1st choice is QE boys, which is difficult to get into. I just wanted to clarify that if I put Watford Grammar as choice 2, wud I be ruining his chance of getting into either - the 1st one because its too difficult, and the 2nd one because I put it as choice 2?

Does that mean that the primary school head teacher is providing misleading information?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sorry - didn't know what your first school choice was - I am in the frozen north and not great on geography of schools near London!

Some of the primary schools do give slightly the wrong slant on the whole thing, they still think that some schools HAVE to be put first.

Not true - problem we do get each year is if someone listens to this from schools and put say Watford first, the n say QE - they could qualify for QE but get given Watford as it was first choice. They assume that QE will contact them and give them a place as they have passed - they won't.

Provided you qualify otherwise for the schools (and I am not sure of any other requirements) then it down to order and the tests.
WP

Post by WP »

ranmis, you have it exactly right: you prefer QE to WB, so you should put it first and that will not decrease your chances of a place at WB if you miss out on QE. What herman is worried about is the common situation where someone puts a backup school that they don't really prefer in first position, often because some head has implied (but not actually stated) that that will maximize their chances. Result: the LEA takes them at their word and gives them the school they said they preferred (but didn't really), even if the second school was willing to offer them a place because of their high score.

Just make sure that you are eligible for WB, and that you include a safe backup in case all goes wrong.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

Also bear in mind that the saga continues late into Sept :( , as people either accept/reject offers, move to Inde's and so on.

From what I hear, the right "etiquette" is (and the more experienced people out there, please correct me if wrong!!)

a) If you get offered what you like, accept it gratefully and inform ALL other schools to remove your interest, so others in the CIL get "moved" up without too much delay.

b) If you do not get offered what you hoped for, accept it (it might be the only one!) and wait/hope for the lists on your higher choice school to "move". Once you get offered what you like, see step (a) :lol:

c) Appreciate that the DC's have worked hard and tried their best, irrespective of which school they get in eventually! (at least this thought keeps me sane).