when do we receive results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
1203tommy

when do we receive results?

Post by 1203tommy »

Hi can anyone tell me do we receive the results friday 15th or are they sent 15th and we receive 16th? Thanks
EmeraldE

Re: when do we receive results?

Post by EmeraldE »

They will come on the Saturday morning, or whenever you get your post on Saturday.
There will be some kids actually sitting the test on the Friday as I believe it is the alternate date set aside for sickies
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

Hmm, these dates puzzle me. How can results be sent out to people who sat the test on the 9th when the performances of those who take the late test on the 15th are not known ? It's true that the majority will sit the tests on the 9th, but even if just ONE child took it late (and a sizeable group do) then results cannot be collated until after then.

Taking Pates as an example, how can they determine their top 160 ranked list until a couple of working days after Friday, October 15th ? But to quote from the LEA website (Key Dates) :-

"15 October 2010: parents receive results of grammar school tests"

:?
Milla

Post by Milla »

I've wondered that. How many late testers do there tend to be, does anyone know?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My only thoughts were that they have looked at the stats for previous years and if they have been pretty static they will use them.

That said did the old letter re- the 120 state you will get a place or that they have 120 places and your child is in the top 120. Perhaps they will phrase it in the way the other Grammars do from know on. Chances are though that being i the top 120 will still get you in it will be the 120 - 160 that are more affected and they have always been open to fluctuation anyway.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Is the sick test not on the Friday before the results? I thought it was? In which case they can be counted this year.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yeah but they have to compile them against all the others. So, say they've got their Pate's 120 + the 40 and then three of the ills pass, then they have to be shoved into the 120, all the 121-160 letters have to be shunted on 3 places etc. The 120 thing also applies to the Stroud schools. The Glos ones would be good to go but not the Stroud and Pate's passes.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I'm pretty sure that we were told by the head at SHS (or somebody else who should know) that if your DD sat the test late, she couldn't be counted in the top 120 but would be given a ranking just outside that - which for SHS is fine, as they go down their list quite a long way. Don't know how that works for Pates, though :? Seems very unfair for those children who are genuinely too ill. Wonder if they will secretly keep some places back? Presumably they will know before they issue the rankings how many children will be sitting the late test and could have a fair guess at the percentage that will pass.

Feeding DD vitamin pills and orange juice. She had stinking cold last week so odds are good that she won't go down with anything else now!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm sure I was told that the Sick-Test is on Thursday for the Stroud grammars at least, followed by frantic marking, spreadsheet completing, double checking then mail-merging of letters.

"It's a very short time scale, and the Powers That Be don't realise the hassle it's going to cause. Of course, it will all work out - it HAS to work out, even if it means us working nights, so TBTB will treat it as successful".

Meanwhile, a lot of children at DD2's school are off with a bug. Hopefully they'll be OK for the test tomorrow, BUT on Monday they all go away for a weeks trip to Whitby, back on Friday evening. Not sure how they'd be able to sit the sicky test from Whitby!

I'd also heard rumours (from very good sources) that it's actually a very low number taking the test this year. Last year was lower than average, this one even lower. Quite how that fits in with the 'loads more private school parents are putting their children in for the test' rumours, I don't know. Maybe people assume the private school kids will do the 11+, whereas in actuallity they're a very mixed abilty bunch, so most wouldn't be up to it. I did see one child from a local prep-school looking round one of our local comps earlier this week, and don't think he's doing the test.

Good luck one and all.

I'm really quaking in my boots at the moment!
Capers
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

We are having a nice long walk this evening to get rid of any nervous energy(I hope) followed by organising ds1's 2(dont they mean 10) pencils and a rubber(or 2) before hot chocolate and bed at 7.30 to sleep at 8pm.
Thats the plan anyway....not sure if it will actually work :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now