WGGS vs Parmiter's?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wanner

WGGS vs Parmiter's?

Post by Wanner »

Went to the WGGS open evening last night and DD loved it. I found the head's talk faintly unnerving - many good things were said, but she did return again and again to the heavy workload, fast pace and the fact that years 7, 8 and 9 are concertina'd into 2 years. Does anyone have any experience of how the WGGS workload compares to Parmiter's? Any other thoughts on one vs the other?
watfordmum66

Re: WGGS vs Parmiter's?

Post by watfordmum66 »

I do not have direct experience of either but have friends with children at both. They all love their respective schools and manage the amount of work they are expected to complete. None of the parents have complained about the amount of work / pressure - took a little time to get used to amount of homework in Year 7 but I think it is fair to say that all year 7 children in any secondary can find that difficult. huge jump from primary.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS goes to Parmiter's and is spending a fair amount of time on homework some nights, but that is so that he can get as much done as possible in order to have free time when he wants.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Well, I'm quite biased towards the WGs anyway, but having had my older son and daughter go through the schools and with the younger ones currently attending them, I can say it's been rare for any of them to be snowed under with homework - despite what is said on Open Evenings. When there has been a lot on one night it's resulted from letting it pile up - and I'm a bit feckless about checking....

I do have friends who have loved Parmiters also. My bugbear with their 'homeworking' is that they require year 11s (or they used to) to do a project for all their potential AS courses over the summer after GCSEs which I find ghastly. Art and castles are the only Watford holiday homeworks I remember. (Sorry, that's probably a bit far away for you to be thinking about - I just get exhausted by too much holiday work!)

Four weeks in my youngest DD is loving Watford Girls AND Mrs H.

If your DD loved it and prefers it to Parmiters, then it's probably the right school for her, I think kids recognise where they'll fit in.
JP

Post by JP »

I have been surprised by the lack of homework that my DD gets from the WGGS. She is now in yr 8. I assumed it was going to be a far more than it has turned out to be so she still has time to do her other activities. Saying that different classes in the year may have more homework.
Wanner

Post by Wanner »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll have to have a good think about this one... DS is in Y7 at Parmiter's, so DD does have the option/opportunity to go there. We are really happy with Parmiter's so far - DS is enjoying it and while he does get a few pieces of homework every day it is all very manageable. Comments on work from the teachers are all so positive and encouraging; I know DD would be very happy there too. Obviously from my point of view it would be very much easier if they were in the same place :wink: But she is adamant that she really really really likes WGGS, so I'm trying to find out what I can to compare the two. The head's talk just suggested that to send your DD there would be something along the lines of tossing child to wolves... and I wouldn't want to do that if we had a friendlier alternative already in place. But it sounds from what all of you say as if the volume of work at WGGS isn't quite as bad as suggested at the open evening, and probably no more than Parmiter's. Any other thoughts/experiences?
Kasturi75

Post by Kasturi75 »

My concern is GCSE & AL results wise WGGS is better than Parmiter’s and also WGGS maintains high discipline compared to other surrounding schools. I have visited the open day at Parmiter’s, Queens & WGGS so far and noticed that more discipline, encouraging & more friendly attitude from WGGS students & staff.
tense

Post by tense »

Personally, I think the differences in results are fairly minimal, especially when you bear in mind that a number of children don't make it into the 6th form at WGSG (I went to WGSB open day this year & was told that 40 boys didn't make the cut this year). Sadly, this is catching on at Parmiter's too. I expect their A level results will improve as a result, but I'm not keen.

However, clearly, we are talking about two good schools where a child who is prepared to put in the work will be appropriately supported & do well. So it comes down to other things; size of site; proximity to home & ease of journey; co-ed or not. Of course different families prefer different things!

Wanner - you are very lucky! If I was you I would put WGSG first, & if your DD fluffs it on exam day, she will still go to a great school. I have a sibling heading for Parmiter's next year - we did the round of open days but Parmiter's was his clear favourite. Personally, I'm relieved - just because I will only have to juggle one school :D

PS - Kasturi75 - I can assure you that discipline is good at Parmiter's too!
herty

Post by herty »

Parmiters looked lovely and a bit more laid back than WG - which is not a criticism at all!

In fact, I probably thought Parmiters was my favourite of the schools we saw - but no good for us as DD would prefer single-sex...