10 days, and counting!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

10 days, and counting!

Post by pheasantchick »

I've managed to be fairly calm until now. However, with Medway getting their results and also beginning to look around schools, it has suddenly come back to haunt me. I feel nervous again.
blessedmum

Re: 10 days, and counting!

Post by blessedmum »

I know how you feel. Is it really ten days?
its 6days to Bexley.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

PH I know how it feels, after the dissapointment today I dont think it can get much worse. Its the not knowing which is harder, you just accept what they get and move on. Hoping we get some good news in Kent. I am re looking at our options now and considering other schools we may have written off. We still have to wait until the 18th though before we make a move so I am just hanging in there too but my adrenaline is where it should be now after having been on high for the last few days.
Impossible is Nothing.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I think there will be a lot of disappointment this year as I believe I read in the news section on this website that there were the highest number of test entrants this year, reaching about 11,500 or so. With the number of places staying the same for grammar schools, you don't have to be Einstein to work out that even less are actually going to pass.

Incidentally, there have been some discussions on previous posts regarding the pass mark being about 50 % or so. Kent County Council, in some of their committee meetings say that only about 25% of children pass. This could mean further disappointment for those just aiming for half marks.

People are in for a rocky road this time, especially if the adjudicator's decision changes everything and then more people look at other schools instead, making those even harder to get in! Set your sights lower people and you may be pleasantly surprised instead of very disappointed. Obviously, you still have all the choices and options to consider still and your frame of mind may stay in tact!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

franticmum wrote:I read in the news section on this website that there were the highest number of test entrants this year, reaching about 11,500 or so.
It was slightly lower this year. Last year it was 11 800.

I posted this last year for my area if anyone is interested.

NOTES:
Column A - no of pupils taking the kent test
Column B - no of pupils who passes
Column C- number of pupils in year 6
Impossible is Nothing.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

The number of entrants, at around 11,500 is roughly on a par with the previous 2 or 3 years so there are no significant differences.

Regarding pass marks - yes, the percentage who do pass is set at around 25% (including head teacher reviews) but this is on standardised scores and in previous years, around 55% raw score is sufficient to get a standardised score of 120. As the number of entrants hasn't changed greatly then unless there is a big increase in either the ability of the children sitting the test or a massive increase in raw scores due to tutoring there shouldn't be much change.

The adjudicator's decision may bring some unwelcome changes, but then it may not! It's that time of year where everything is uncertain and all I can offer from my experience is, stay positive, try not to think about it too much, don't listen to rumours and then if the result isn't what you'd hoped for, accept that your DCs did the best they could on the day.
Lemmie

Post by Lemmie »

25% of those taking the test or 25% of pupils moving from yr 6 to yr 7?

If that Newspaper article is accurate (and I know it only covers a small section of kent), then for that area you have approx 3000 yr 6 Children, with just over 1600 taking the 11+ and just over 820 passing... so just under 50% of those taking the exam getting a pass... a little way over 25% of all yr 6 children passing the 11+.

Am I missing something obvious?
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

It's 25% of the total year 6 cohort i.e. all the year 6 pupils regardless of whether or not they sat the Kent test. Using the figures you quote then 3000 transferring to secondary, 820 passing, which works out at 27%.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now