Advice about putting choice of school following the test.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spottycat

Advice about putting choice of school following the test.

Post by spottycat »

I'd be very grateful if anyone out there could answer this question. If a child sits the 11+ at SHS tomorrow morning, for example, and the parent ticked for the results for SHS only can they still put another grammar as their second preference on the school preference form. Thank you. :D
Newshoes

Re: Advice about putting choice of school following the test

Post by Newshoes »

I recall being told last year by the head of Ribston that if you didn't tick a GS you couldn't have a score retrospectively as you weren't included within the 'standardisation' of scores for that particular school.
So even if you put that GS as your first choice on the CAF you would not get a place as your DC did not get a pass mark at that school. You would have to appeal on the grounds of a pass at another GS, parents mistake..... :?
There should be no reason not to tick all relevant Grammar school boxes and have a score for each school. At least that way if you don't get a pass, aren't in the top 120 or subsequent ranking for Pates/SHS you may have other Grammar schools as options. HSFG and Ribston were put out last year that SHS ranked the girls so may well change to ranking them this year.
This however is what skews the results as some DCs will have scores making them eligible for a place at up to 4 GS!! Hence the post that DD ranked 180 at SHS got in on first allocation.
If you want the score shared with more than the 1 GS you have ticked I would suggest you contact SHS asap (assuming that is where you sent the form) and ask them to amend the form for you.
GOOD LUCK!! :D
Last edited by Newshoes on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Newshoes wrote:If you want the score shared with more than the 1 GS you have ticked I would suggest you contact SHS asap (assuming that is where you sent the form) and ask them to amend the form for you.
You may well find that they can't adjust the application form after the closing date (which was Thursday 1st October) - they often are quite strict on these rules - otherwise why have the rules in the first place?

If you DD doesn't pass for SHS, but (once compared on here with any figures flying around), it becomes apparent that she would have passed for Ribston had you ticked the box, then your only option will be to wait until after National Allocation Day in March, then launch an appeal.

I'd heard that last year Ribston took all the girls who achieved a pass, and then the appeals panel allowed quite a few non-qualification appeals. If next years panel does the same, then a child who would have passed had the box been ticked would probably be very high on the panels list of those to allow. To me, you'd be in a very low 'parental stress factor' during the appeal - panels think of the pupils, not parents lack of knowledge of the system (which is quite horrific at times).

Now when it comes to filling in the preference form, there's nothing to stop you putting Ribston first. It will just be ignored (but of course, the panel may ask you why you didn't put it on the form if you left it off).

My top piece of advice: please, please, please make sure that you put a realistic 'fall-back' school on the preference form - just in case the worst happened and the appeal panel didn't allow it - so then you'd have a school place for August, even if it's not your top choice.
Capers
spottycat

Post by spottycat »

Thank you Newshoes and Capers for your replies. I posted this on behalf of a friend who didn't know the system so will pass the information on.
gloucsdad

Post by gloucsdad »

I would say that if you only put one or two schools on the reg form and you want to be considered for more then you should contact - contact the schools that you want to be registered for.

I asked the Head of Pates and he said, i think it is a direct quote, 'people before rules ' or was it 'before process'.

Anyway - do ask - and if you want to get around the system, speak to the Heads rather than the admin person running it as they will only follow rules

Good luck tomorrow everyone!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now