Travelling times to school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Benoit

Travelling times to school

Post by Benoit »

Just having a look at school travel options and was wondering what people's views were on travelling times and opinions on what is considered an excessive journey time.

Our 2 top choices will be RGS and Fort Pitt (probably in that order but undecided). The other 2 picks will be Chatham Grammar for Girls and RMGS (again, probably in that order as 3 & 4).

From where we live RGS and Fort Pitt is a 45 minute bus ride. It is almost door to door with Fort Pitt a stroll (trek!) up the hill.
Chatham Grammar for Girls is a 10 minute walk for a 20 minute bus ride
RMGS is about a 40 minute walk.

Our first choice is likely to mean waking up at 0630, on the bus at 0720 arriving at 0810. After school, on the bus, home at 1615.
I personally think this is ok but my daughter looks horrified! :shock:
I'd be interested to hear how parents with children commuting already cope with long journeys. Another issue I have noticed - there is only one bus each way so after school clubs etc mean securing an alternative.
Benoit
doodles

Re: Travelling times to school

Post by doodles »

In fear of being shot down I would say that any of those journeys is acceptable.

I drop DS at bus stop at 7.45a.m. and he gets back home at 4.20 p.m. - that's one bus option the other bus option is 7.25 a.m. and back at 5.20 p.m. (longer but a back up if it all goes pear shaped). He is completely fine with this now but was a little tired for the first couple of weeks of term.

The majority of children seem to do journeys like this from what I can see!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks for posting this, Doodles. Travelling times is something that I've got to weigh regarding various schools (not fully investigated options yet) so would also be interested in the replies.
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

SOLD! Sounds good to me, I won't shoot you down! That's what I thought! I remember mine was an hour walk or a quicker, life threatening bike ride!

I assume buses are very safe in Kent. I've not heard anything to the contrary but I am used to London where, school children rarely get off the bus with everything they took on it.
Benoit
doodles

Post by doodles »

That may still be the case but more due to the fact that some children (for this read my DS) seems to be incapable of remembering what they got ON the bus with!!!!

In fact if I were a member of the fare paying public I would be the one feeling in apprehensive - most of the buses in Kent seem to be packed to the gunnells with children at school traveliing times and it would take a brave person to get on with them!!!!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Benoit wrote:Our first choice is likely to mean waking up at 0630, on the bus at 0720 arriving at 0810. After school, on the bus, home at 1615.
I personally think this is ok but my daughter looks horrified! :shock:
I'd be interested to hear how parents with children commuting already cope with long journeys. Another issue I have noticed - there is only one bus each way so after school clubs etc mean securing an alternative.
My dd is in year 7- up at 6.30, on the bus at 7.15am, arrive at school 8.00am
Lands home on the door step at 4.10 - so much the same as your dd would need to do.
Our bus stop is just 5 min walk.
Its fine they get used to it and have a social life on the bus :)
jingle

Post by jingle »

Mine go to our nearest GS which means leaving house at 7.20. Journey of approx 7 miles which seems to take about 45 to 50 mins. No problems whatsoever, in fact they prefer to catch the bus even if I am driving right by the school on my way to work!
Lots of time to chat and have made lots of friends while on the journey.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
zink

Post by zink »

I agree with all that's said so far. I have one at the Maths and had one at RGS, and they would both prefer the bus journey to getting a lift because of the social life that begins and end on the bus.

The early rise in the morning is a little shock to the system but children are more robust than we give them credit for.

The first couple weeks left them feeling tired, but after that it ceases to be a problem.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now