reading suggestions - next step up from "Little Animal Ark"

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

reading suggestions - next step up from "Little Animal Ark"

Post by mystery »

What can anyone suggest as a step up from Little Animal Ark books i.e. slightly more complex ideas, sentence structure, and vocab? In particular, I would welcome suggestions that would be likely to appeal to girl of 6.5 to 7.5 - and her parents! - please no pink magic fairies etc. She does like funny, sad, or what will happen next moments, naughty or cheeky characters etc.
guest201

Re: reading suggestions - next step up from "Little Animal A

Post by guest201 »

What about "The Wishing Chair" or "The Magic Faraway Tree" series by Enid Blyton, or Winnie the Witch
mystery

Post by mystery »

They look like great ideas, thanks
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Some Michael Morpurgo and Roald Dahl are good for younger readers as are Jeremy Strong. We have just finished an Andy Stanton Mr Gum book which both daughters (aged 7 & 10) loved.....
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I have just been given one of the "Magic Tree House" series by Mary Pope Osborne and it looks very nice (the author is american but you can't really tell when you read the book) I will give it to my DD tonight to see what she thinks.
I also agree some of the Roald Dahl books are good for this age my DD enjoyed The Magic Finger, The Twits, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox.
um

Post by um »

My daughter has finally stopped reading the 'Fairies' books and is really enjoying Milly Molly Mandy. I brought the box set from Books Direct quite cheap. As they were written in the 1800s, I worried that she would not be interested, but she is, and they are well written, if somewhat quaint!
After that I was thinking of introducing the Chalet School books, as I remember reading them all about that age.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I remember the Chalet School and St Clare's and Mallory Towers - I couldn't put them down. Also both DS's have enjoyed the Secret Seven and Famous Five.

How about the Horrid Henry books - I used to slightly turn my nose up at them :oops: but both of my DC's have loved them and if it makes them read...........
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

DD also enjoyed Milly Molly Mandy, the Secret Seven and Famous Five. Loves R. Dahl.

The Ramona Collection by Beverly Cleary is also good... books by Sheila Lavelle, Gillian Cross; 'My Naughty little Sister' series by Dorothy Edwards are enjoyable to read.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mystery wrote:What can anyone suggest as a step up from Little Animal Ark books i.e. slightly more complex ideas, sentence structure, and vocab? .
As your DD loves animal, you could try the books written by Dick King Smith, but they might be a bit too challenging (?). My DS is in year 5 and they have just finished to read 'Babe' and now, all the kids in the class are 'devouring' the books writeen by this author (my DS included... he made me discover this author as I was brought up abroad). I find the level in English REALLY easy, not at all a level for year 5 children :(
guest201 wrote:I have just been given one of the "Magic Tree House" series by Mary Pope Osborne and it looks very nice (the author is american but you can't really tell when you read the book) I will give it to my DD tonight to see what she thinks.
I also agree some of the Roald Dahl books are good for this age my DD enjoyed The Magic Finger, The Twits, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

My DS loved also the books written by Mary Pope Osborne, that we discovered abroad (the books published in the UK have been adapted to British English, they are different from the American version. In the US, there is all the advertisement machine around this serie, but I don't feel the same campaign here (we just have a few books by this author in the many libraries in Birmingham. In the past, I gave the hint to the librarian that these books are appealing to the young readers... with no effect .. Same thing in my DS school: some children ask for these books but they have not been bought. I am surprised as these books are tranlated in French and easy to get France in the supermarkets! Here in England, we don't always find them easily on the shelves at WHSmith or Waterstone!
I have to say the 'literacy' level is not as beautiful as Morpurgo's books for example (I am a great fan of Morpurgo! :P ), but the stories introduce the children to many different topics :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Just looked at this and am reminded that there have been several threads over time asking for advice on books for various ages of children. Each has resulted in a flurry of great suggestions which have then got lost in the mists of time and supervening threads. I wonder if it would be worth starting some 'stickies', or whatever they are called, which could be added to but which might stay at the top of a page so that people could dip into them and refer to them? Many of the suggestions are replicated anyway; many of the original posters disappear, along with their experience and views - it would be a way of preserving some of the good ideas.

Just a thought.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now