A little moan about school uniform...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentsussexborder

A little moan about school uniform...

Post by kentsussexborder »

Totally boring I know but two things...

(1) Why is it so hard to buy school uniform items after the second week of September? Do businesses really think that there is no demand for basics like, for instance, grey tights once the children go back to school? I am tearing my hair out trying to find grey tights, any size between 8 and 10 years and there are none to be had. Likewise plain black jumpers and plain black trousers in a size 10 (boys). Aagh!

and

(2) Why is the quality often rubbish, even from shops like M&S? The items you have to purchase from the schools (crest embroidered sweatshirts/cardigans etc) are often so bad you have to chuck them less than a year after purchase. So far this term (6 weeks) all the buttons have come off DD's school cardigans and the seams have come apart under the arms; and all DS's trousers have the hems coming down.

It irritates me intensely, especially when opting for more expensive items rather than cheap supermarket clothing - tbh we still have supermarket stuff knocking about which seems to have a half life of 1,000 years when the more costly brands have disintegrated!
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: A little moan about school uniform...

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I agree! DS started a new school in summer term and due to a busy summer holiday and assumming his shirts would still fit I didn't get any new uniform. Two days after the start of term there were no blue school shirts to be found anywhere and trousers were difficult to find. I ended up having to get him age 12 - he's 9! :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Couldn't agree more - I really am becoming a grumpy old woman.

Black and grey v necks are really hard to find unless I go to the official school outfitter and pay twice the price. Not really keen on doing this as DS2 seems to think that it is fine to carry his jumper down the school drive by one arm therefore leaving the rest of the garment free to sweep up the leaves :lol:

The other thing that really gets me is the price and quality of school shoes. Boring black velcro shoes for DS2 who is tiny were more than £50. They are nothing special at all. DS1's were a little less but have almost fallen apart after 6 weeks. Aaaagh.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Miss Yoyo's school had kilts, 10 years ago they were £38 each. and they changed uniform in year 10. summer uniform was more again and they HAD to wear it. the shirts were appalling quality at £12 each, i wouldn;t have paid £1.99 for them in QS. The thread was a different yarn to the shirt and shrank in the wash so the seams were puckered and the buttonholes were right on the edge of the shirt. It cost a fortune. At least I am grateful that I don;t have twins like my sister
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Ah - had forgotten about school shoes... thanks for reminding me Doodles coz that's something else I can have a moan about.

Like the pair of black Geox that wore through the sole in less than 6 weeks (not designed for playing football on concrete surfaces apparently, although they did keep DS's feet smelling sweet - not surprisingly with huge holes); and those awful Clarks shoes with the toys in the heels (why oh why!) that have the instep cave in once you take the toy out.

Sigh.
doodles wrote:Black and grey v necks are really hard to find unless I go to the official school outfitter and pay twice the price.
DS lost his expensive Simmonds black jumper so I bought a £3 bargain one from M&S. So far it's wearing the best of anything. But now there are no more to be had. NO MORE TO BE HAD. Do you hear me M&S??? And you have no tights either!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My personal bugbear is white school shirts. The boys are constantly being told to "tuck your shirt in", but given that the shirt has about one inch of fabric below the waistline, they just can't keep them tucked in.

What happened to shirt tails?
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Swimming trunks. My boys usually swim in swim shorts, but for school it has to be trunks. For 10/12 lessons I want cheap and cheerful yetafter the end of the summer holidays there are none to be found(I wonder if I can get them in a swimsuit???) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Oh School shoes, definitely. DD2 has strange feet - totally flat and she sort of walks over on the insides. Really needs proper shoes with rigid instep to support her feet. Can't wear any type of 'ballet shoe' 'cos she can't keep them on. Can't wear velcro shoes because the way she stands means her shoes constantly come undone. Has had new pair of C****s shoes since beginning of term and velcro now useless and shoes constantly undone and falling off. Not too good in lace up shoes as takes her 10 mins to tie them and because she can't do them up tight enough they come undone constantly. Last teacher told me to buy her some different shoes. :evil:

Where are the old fashioned good quality stiff leather shoes with BUCKLES? My DD3 has a pair but they don't make them for anyone over 3 feet high :evil:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Try finding polo shirts or shirts in grey these days - they used to be everywhere and now suddenly they have disappeared.

I asked assistants in several shops why they only stocked white and blue and they all shrugged and said that was what they were sent!
Surely it would pay the shops to actually research the uniform requirements of the local population!

However I did find M&S 's order and have delivered to the store (don't have to pay postage) service very successful.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ladies, ladies, ladies.

Doncha know, buying school uniform is like buying summer clothes in summer and winter clothes in winter.

You can't do it!!

You can only buy out of season. Any reasonable person wants summer clothes in winter. And in summer, when it's read hot, your thoughts naturally turn to winter - so off you go to buy your winter woollies, of course (and don't forget the old hat and scarf too, oh and the boots!).

Now, with school uniform you have to buy in June or at a push July,'cos you know, come August you just don't 'need' it.

It's obviously men, with no children, who thought up this brainwave shopping pattern then - why am I not shocked? :lol: :lol: