Is Kesteven Sleaford High over subscribed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
teachermum30

Is Kesteven Sleaford High over subscribed?

Post by teachermum30 »

We live quite a way from any grammar schools, in Lincoln city itself. My daughter sat her eleven plus at her own request (only a couple of weeks preparation) and I wasn't initially seriously considering grammar. However she would really liked to go- providing she passes of course!
I am not too sure if she would be able to get a place at any of the schools due to our driving distance. We like QEHS in gains, but they only take upto about 14 miles away usually- we are 20. So no point there! We liked QEGS in horncastle, because they take on score after catchment area so if she did well would stand a good chance, but we have since discovered the travelling would be a bit much- despite it being around 20 miles it would take twice as long as the other school in gains to get to, so think that has to be ruled out!
Other option is Sleaford High as its only a 30 min train journey, but still about 18 miles away from us. They take all who pass in the distance criteria. Are they heavily oversubscribed and does anybody know if girls from Lincoln ever get in there?
Failing these, we have LSST which isnt a grammar and they have their own entrance testing which she has also done. But i am not sure she would get in on entrance tests as she is not the most technical minded child out there! They ration places strictly and only 2 places go to our primary school.
I dont want my daughter at one of the worst performing secondary schools in the county, but that is our closest school and its seeming difficult to get in at any good school despite her academic achievements and involvement in all aspects of school life...feeling frustrated!
Alex

Re: Is Kesteven Sleaford High over subscribed?

Post by Alex »

Welcome to the forum!

I am afraid that the answer you need is not going to be forthcoming. KSHS has varied widely from year to year so it is very hard to predict what may happen this year. Last year it was oversubscribed but the year before it did not fill all its places before appeals. They just might be willing to tell you, if you ring them after the results have come out on Friday, how many girls have passed the exam who took it in the Sleaford schools or at the GS itself, which will give you a very rough idea of your chances of getting in. It does go quite a long way out fairly regularly but is popular with girls in the Newark area as well and they are often slightly nearer than Lincoln. However, a look at the train from Lincoln any morning will show that people do get in sometimes.

Priory Academy LSST takes large numbers on appeal each year so if you do not get in through the normal allocations it is well worth appealing - they like academic high flyers and the panel will definitely take note of evidence of high ability, "comprehensive" label or not!

Some of the partner primaries' places are not taken up each year and there are still plenty of places allocated through the lottery as well as those allocated through the aptitude test. One school with which I am familiar regularly sends three times the number of its designated places to LSST.

You do need to put a "safe" choice down as well though. Many of the schools in and around Lincoln are not always oversubscribed or else have a fair amount of movement post allocations in March - I would visit any in travelling distance and take a look.