Appeal Hearings

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

IC

Appeal Hearings

Post by IC »

We are in the Kent LEA and would like to know how long after the appeal application has been submitted do the hearings take place?
kent

Post by kent »

Does anyone know the answer to this?? Id also like to know. Obviously exact dates wont be known yet, but anyone got a rough idea?? ie the nearest month?!! Regards
kent mum

appeal

Post by kent mum »

kent wrote:Does anyone know the answer to this?? Id also like to know. Obviously exact dates wont be known yet, but anyone got a rough idea?? ie the nearest month?!! Regards
I've heard week commencing 14th or 21st May!!
kent

Post by kent »

Great Im 41 weeks pregnant then...!!! Could make the appeal a bit more interesting!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Kent

I would threaten to go into labour on the spot unless they allow your appeal! :lol: :lol:

More seriously, if the date is around the time you're due to give birth, make sure that you check the rules on cancelling an appeal at the last minute very carefully, talk to Admissions about your predicament and put it in writing to them and get an acknowledgement from them. Your appeal could be disallowed if you simply fail to show up on the day, even for such a legitimate reason.

Sally-Anne
kent

Post by kent »

Many thanks Sally-Anne, I had wondered what might happen if we had to cancel. So thanks very much I will certainly do that.
Hopefully I would have whipped him out by then!!
I am imagining scenarios, about what could happen that day though!!!! LOL!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Kent

I would turn up for the Appeal hearing with a box of disposable gloves! :lol:

Again, back to serious things, if you have "whipped him out" just before the hearing that should be allowed for in the arrangements. You cannot be expected to turn up for an Appeal within days of giving birth, and nor can the father!

It might extend the agony for you further, but if you are offered a date that is close to your due date, think about speaking to Admissions for a different date, preferably asking for a place at short notice due to a cancellation.

Above all else, GET IT ALL IN WRITING! Sorry to shout, but it is just so important.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If parents do not attend the appeal, the hearing usually goes ahead in their absence on the basis of the written submission, but the chances of a successful result are very much reduced.

As Sally-Anne advises, it is worth discussing your circumstances with the admission authority, as they might be willing to consider special arrangements such as an alternative date.
Etienne
kent

Post by kent »

Many thanks for your advice. I will certainly contact them Monday and as you say I will certainly get it in writing. Due date is the 10thMay and all my others have all been late so Im expecting him to arrive about the 17th ish (big [b]ish[/b]).

Baby number four, Im taking it all in my stride, was planning a home birth, but hay, at the appeal hearing would be fine...

Thanks for the advice, also hopefully given others in the same boat or other circumstances some good advice and something to think about.

Regards