Pass mark/percentage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

1gonzo1

Pass mark/percentage

Post by 1gonzo1 »

Does anyone know what the highest possible mark is in the AGGS entrance exam - and therefore what the percentage pass mark is?
Zed 1

Re: Pass mark/percentage

Post by Zed 1 »

I'm sure (like the boys grammar) it is a standardised score. 141 for each of the 3 papers - making a total of 423.

By the way - out of interest - does anyone know if the boys and girls sit the same papers? The exams are always on the same day, so I've always thought they were the same. Both have pass marks of 334, too.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Getting 141 in a paper doesn't mean that the child got 100% in the exam, though. They may have done, but unless the raw scores (pre standardisation) are known (which they are not) you cannot hazard a guess.

The top scoring child might get 80/80 in the VR exam. That would be 100% and as top scorer they would get 141. However, the top scoring child might only get 60/80, being 75% and yet they would still get 141 as their standardised score. To add a degree of complexity, you might get two kids each getting 80/80 on the VR paper yet, if one is an August baby, that is the child that will get 141 and the other one, being a September baby, might only get 136, say.

It totally depends on the cohort each year and, as the schools don't divulge the raw scores, a guess at the percentage required is impossible to make.

I think if your child is getting 80% or above on the NFER/Letts practice papers then you are in with a good shot. However, I can base this only on having 2 daughters who have passed, rather than on vast statistical evidence!
1gonzo1

Post by 1gonzo1 »

Thanks Trafford mum - that makes it much clearer. We've found out that our daughter has passed which is great, but wouldn't want her to be at the bottom of the bright kids! Guess it's not that easy to tell, but she was comfortably over the 'pass mark' and is a summer baby so should be OK.
nato8835

Post by nato8835 »

You know i have been following this forum for some time and as a parent whose daughter (and i refuse to use dd) who has passed sale and altrincham, i find some of the comments on here laughable. Do you really care what the pass mark is and more importantly what does it matter and does it really mean anything. Most kids probably a high percentage have been tutored to specifically pass the exams, this doesn't show you their true ability, just can they be tutored to pass the specific 3 subjects. Just be greatfull they passed, with a high score, low score, middle score as there will be plenty that haven't.
1gonzo1

Post by 1gonzo1 »

oh dear - sorry to be annoying! My daughter wasn't tutored as I don't believe in it. But knowing my daughter I know she'd be happier to be top of the class at the high school than bottom of the class at the grammar school. The local high school is excellent and I'd rather she went there if she'd only scraped through. Traffordmum's posting was therefore very helpful.
Zed 1

Post by Zed 1 »

nato8835, I agree with you - a pass mark is enough if you have passed AGGS or sale and live in the catchment area.

However, for AGSB if you live out of catchment area simply a pass is usually not enough to guarantee a place. Places are offered to all boys within catchment area and then the rest are put into score order, to offer the remaining places. Each year boys out of catchment area need significantly higher scores to have a chance of being offered a place....so in these cases the mark does matter.
Zed 1

Post by Zed 1 »

:?
Last edited by Zed 1 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nato8835

Post by nato8835 »

Ohhhh i must reply

1. If you are satisfied that the local schools are good enough for your child then send them there. Places at the grammars are in short supply so give them to those that really want them

2. Take your point regarding out of the catchment area, but that wasn't what i was referring to

A pass is a pass simple as that. The old cliche of i don't want her at the bottom of a good school etc is simply rubbish. The tests do not mean that just because you got a fantastic score that your child is suddenly the brain of britain and will be top of the class. If they have passed well done to them and look forward to the start of year 7. The score in catchent area is not worth bothering about, some kids had cold, flu etc. tables being wobbled and the thousand of other reasons why alot may not have performed to the best on the day. You are never going to get a true reflection of the scores. People will, should i say it not tell the truth, so how exactly are you going to know. Post edited by Moderator for inflammatory comments.
winkly dad

Post by winkly dad »

I must agree with you Nato 8835, everyone has been deeply concerned over the last week or so as to whether their child has passed or failed the exam, now they're concerned about whose daughter did better than the next. Please relax and be happy that your child passed the exam. My daughter passed for AGGS and we hope that come next september she will join every other bright girl who all passed the exam for the same excellent school!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now