Help! What do these numbers means?!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CandyCat

Help! What do these numbers means?!!!

Post by CandyCat »

Hello there,

I'm v new on here and hoping somebody out there can shed some much needed light please. Have just received the dreaded letter from GCC with what I thought would contain a "well done, you've made it into Tommies", or "hard luck, you havent made it". But that would just be too simple and logical wouldnt it? GCC let says that children reaching a combined score of 210 are eligible to be considered for a place at Tommies. DS's combined standardised score is 218. BUT, GCC also says that 235 boys reached the required standard this year! What does this mean?! Does it mean DS doesnt stand a cat in ****'s chance? Does the 235 figure include every single child who marked Tommies as a "possible"? Help!!
Tolstoy

Re: Help! What do these numbers means?!!!

Post by Tolstoy »

Last year 250 boys passed the test and those scoring 215/ 216 and above got a place. In your position I would be cautiously optimistic. DS2 got 215 and got an offer last year.
allovernow

Post by allovernow »

That's a good score and should be OK for a place at Tommies. Last year they went down to 215 (and there were a lot of children on that score). If you want Tommies, make sure you put it first on the CAF and that score should get you in.

The hard part is that the LEA have told you 235 boys have made the qualifying score - in other words, 235 boys have scored 210 or more. Some of those boys may not want to go to Tommies (but have passed) - you don't know until they submit their CAF. Tommies take 108 into Y7, so your dilemma is "is my DS in the top 108 scores by ranked order ?". As I say, that score has been good enough in recent times. The LEA will not tell you that information though !

Well done and good luck !
Last edited by allovernow on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Re the 235 a huge chunk of those will go to Pates as it will have been there first choice and some will also go independent, Crypt and Marling. I think Tommy's are refining their standardisation in order to equal out the number of passes to the number of places available as two years ago 265 boys passed and the offers stopped at 222.

Meant to add congratulations enjoy and celebrate :)
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Many thanks guys. Really wish I'd discovered this forum before last week.... :oops:

We are just v pleased that DS has passed. Will def take your advice and ensure that we mark Tommies as first choice on the CAF. The rest is out of our hands, so now need to make a concerted effort not to spend the next five months worrying about it!

Good luck to all those who are still waiting.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi CandyCat - congrats on the scores and good luck for....... MARCH! Such a pain having to wait so long.

The confusing letters in quite a few districts are one of the reasons why I think parents are better to open the letter and not wait for the kids to get home from school / back from footlball etc etc - the kid will be looking for the RESULT ie YES or NO - some of these letters take a lot of analysis!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Totally agree with that Herman and it is one of the reasons I prefer results to come on a week day. We were lucky last year as DS2 was away for the weekend so we had time to get our head around his results before telling him. It is also why I hate the way these places are allocate.

So much simpler in my day when a pass = a place. Envy those in counties where this still stands. :roll:
cairo

Post by cairo »

I agree with Tolstoy that with the score you have, your DS stands a very good chance of getting a place. 235 passes is fewer than last year or the year before, so your DS is in a smaller group eligible for places.

Very difficult not to fret until allocation day in March, but I would be really surprised if it did not all work out OK for you then. (And if not - like me - you could always go for an appeal on the basis that your son is obviously of the correct standard to attend. But fingers crossed it doesn't come to that for you. :D )
Milla

Post by Milla »

The last couple of years far more boys than girls have got into pate's freeing up more spaces. Although in hideous limbo you stand a strong chance. Lots of those 235 are duplicates for pate's, marling, crypt, so try not to worry!! Be thrilled with the pass. Lots of poor families out there will be dealing w bad news. Contests to your son!!!
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Yep, you're absolutely right, despite the agony of being in limboland, we are v conscious that others haven't received positive news today. Thank you all for your assurances and positive vibes today - so appreciated.