advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MOOSHOO15

advice please

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

Finally some post has come. We have had letter for SHS and RH. DD2 in top 120 for SHS and has score of 242 for Ribston Hall. The school we are interested in is Denmark Road. I am assuming she will quallify for DR and may possibly be in with a chance on the waiting list for Pates? Any advice grateful. I wish we had the letter for Denmark Road. Will have to wait for Monday now.
Milla

Re: advice please

Post by Milla »

At a guess I'd say she could well be top 120 for Pate's s and Denmark Rd a shoo in. Contests!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

My DD has 229 for Ribston, 226 for Denmark Road and 227 for Pates, so there is a chance your DD is just in the 160 for Pates. Good Luck.
mags

Post by mags »

Hi,
First time here - reading everything and getting confused. We could only consider a Cheltenham school due to where we live so did the Pates test. Didn't qualify, lots of tears and I feel terrible for letting her do it. We used the CATS scores as guidance to whether she would be 'comfortable' with Grammar if she got in. Have two younger ones and now wondering whether the 'you don't know unless you give it a go' is the best policy? Can anyone tell me what score got you in the top 160 for Pates? Just need to know whether we were a million miles away. Won't be appealing or anything - know it doesn't work that way for Pates. Thank you so much and huge congratulations to those of you who have a place and congratulations also to all those who gave it a go.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Very sorry to here your news, Mags. The pass mark for Pates is 240.

Re appeals I am almost sure someone on this site mentioned success with Pates so not completely a no no depending on your circumstances and academic evidence.
Milla

Post by Milla »

this is the flipside of all this. It's a vile process which is why we all get so stressed. It's easy, too, to lose perspective, esp at the sharp end of it all, like, results day, when emotions are so heightened. So sorry for your news, Mags, but, hey, your daughter's got a great mum. It's NOT the end of the world. My best friend went to a truly vile dump of a school and is horrifyingly successful now. A fab family beats a good school, honest. Your DD will be fine. :)
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

I'm with you Mags. Our DC1 was getting very high scores in practice, 95+, sometimes 100%. However, his score for Pates was 131 so not even in top 160. Whilst we never ever thought Pates was a given, it is so weird as was always doing so well and also he isn't a panicker. Some people are saying we should appeal - but I feel the exam is there for a reason, so if he did do a section wrong, then the places should go to those who got the section right! We had tears too. Because of location we only were trying for Pates, but I am hoping that his score is high enough for Thommies. (we could move!) He is begging for Thommies and its a great school I believe - Milla think you have just said that somewhere. So he should feel he has passed not failed. Husband happily sleeping while my head whirring. Thanks for support. And congrats to all who got in.
bristolmom

Post by bristolmom »

Milla is right.. After all that hardwork and stress .. when our DC s do their part .. and dont get in ..its really hard.
I had told our DS before the results .. we have to strongly believe that everything happens for the best .. if u dont get in. After all that work , it just seems so unfair .. afterall we are all parents to who wish the best for their children.
Our sincere best wishes to all those loving parents and children who just missed .
nearlythere

Post by nearlythere »

Advice please.
If we got a score of 231 at Pates, would that be enough for Thommies?
What if you got a very high score in one paper, but not in the other.
I know the pass mark is 210 but do you have to get a certain % in each papers or overall combined score of 210+

If we only put Pates on the Grammar reg form, have we mucked up by not putting Thommies. (location wise wasn't really an option but we could move). Or will we be ok if we put Thommies on the form to be submitted by 31st Oct.

Help would be very gratefully received, thanks thanks thanks ..
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Unfortunately you have to have selected Tommies to have your results shared with their cohort and to the best of my knowledge that cannot be done retrospectively :? Your best bet is to ring Shire Hall (and/or the school) and ask for advice. I do think that score would be enough for Tommies. Someone with more knowledge might be able to offer you more detailed advice.

You need a combined score of 210 but realistically 215+ for Tommies. It does not matter how those scores were accrued. In previous years kids had to get certain scores on both papers but that was done away with a few years ago. I do think you will likely have to place an appeal to be considered now. However, your chances may be good as a good pass is a good pass. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now