farringtons school chislehurst

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

webby

farringtons school chislehurst

Post by webby »

hello, i would be very grateful for any information on farringtons school. if my ds does not pass 11 plus we are considering this school. thank you
blessedmum

Re: farringtons school chislehurst

Post by blessedmum »

I went to see Farringtons a few weeks ago and really liked it. It gets a lot of bad press but I felt it is a well rounded school. Very nurturing and the children all seemed genuinely happy and settled. The school has got a lot of facilities which from my questioning, all the kids get the opportunity to use and develop themselves.

The assesment test taken in November is mainly used to stream the kids into classes as they stream straight away being an all ability school to stretch the kids that need to be and to support the ones that need it.

I also have a couple of friends that boarded there many moons ago and they really liked it, one is thinking of sending her ds there now.

You should go and visit the school to be able to make an informed decision for your own dc
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

Hi,

I went to Farringtons (a long time ago now) and did very well indeed. I failed the 11+ and absolutely thrived at this school. I didn't get into Bromley High either. It is known as a mixed ability school but they do stretch the most able. Since it has boarding facilities too children can board maybe one night a week (one of my friend's children do this currently). I think it is very well rounded and there are also more than usual the amount of activities on offer in order to cater for the boarders. I went on to get married in the school chapel.

I would add that my sister sent to Dartford Grammer and I far exceeded her academic record at Farringtons.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Great to hear your good news about Farringtons. I have it on my shortlist of schools for my ds. It sounds as if you attended the school or are your referring to your ds? If so when did you or ds complete GCSEs?

The entrance exam is coming up soon and I am hoping my ds does pass and is granted a small scholarship. Thanks for sharing your info about the school and hope to hear more.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

I was a pupil a long time ago. It will give you a clue how long ago if I tell you it was before GCSE's were even introduced. I did 'O' Levels. My DD passed the Bexley and Kent 11+ but distances will probably mean we dont get a grammar place and I am very keen on Farringtons for her because she really doesn't think she is very clever so I think she'll do well in more of a mixed ability class than say in a grammar where everyone is clever, which might make her feel less capable than she is. I am taking her to the open day on 2nd Nov and have registered her for the taster day on 6th Nov and then the exam on 11th Nov. We are a family of all girls so I am v. pleased they have started taking boys because until recently that was my only reservation in that I am fairly keen for my girls to experience coed secondary school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now