Appeal - worth it

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicemum

Appeal - worth it

Post by nicemum »

DC scored 213 - maths 107 and vebal 106 - out a pass mark of 218. Has SEN statement - poor organisation and concentration issues. We asked for extra time and rest breaks but was only provided extra time which really was not much help. Any advice please will be welcomed
Etienne

Re: Appeal - worth it

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Have you seen the Q&As? - follow link at top of page.

The following might also be of interest:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15025
(scroll down to no. 7)

When the application was made for special consideration, did an appropriate professional recommend rest breaks, and if so how frequently? Are rest breaks normally given in the classroom situation, and if so how frequently?

If there's been an EP report, it would be helpful if we could know whether WISC/Weschler or BAS was used, and the percentile results for each test.
Etienne
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

The school head teacher requested extra time - i asked her, why not rest breaks and was told that Bexley only provided extra time, this was confirmed by a phone call and a letter from the council. In the classroom, tasks are modified to ensure that DC does not rush through work and concentrate more.
Professional suggests modifiying tasks to ensure DC assess the curriculum, use of distraction free area, work task broken down.

EP report: done last year - sent to Bexley.
WISC was used: although EP noted that the test did not shown DC full potential as attention skills fluctuated greatly - not reflective of DC abilities - anxious of the situation.
Scores were - verbal comp - 29, Perceptual reasoning- 23, Work memory - 19, Processing speed - 21. WORD test - basic reading 14 years old, spelling 9.9 yrs and reading comprehension 9.3 yrs.
Any feedback will be useful
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So where did the idea of rest breaks come from? Sorry - I'm just trying to establish whether an appropriate professional (e.g. a doctor or educational psychologist) stated that this would be necessary. I note that classroom tasks are modified, but are there any situations where rest breaks are allowed?

How much extra time was requested, and how much was allowed?

What were the percentiles for the various WISC tests, please?
Etienne
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

What were the percentiles for the various WISC tests, please?

Verbal 45 percentile only given, the result stated "it seems important to note that DC attention skills fluctuated greatly during the assessment and it would appear that this has resulted in the significant variances in Dc performance at the various subset - hence the intepretation of the individual subtest scaled scores."

maybe we need another independent assessment? and yes rest breaks allowed in classroom
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So where did the idea of rest breaks come from? Sorry - I'm just trying to establish whether an appropriate professional (e.g. a doctor or educational psychologist) stated that this would be necessary.
I'm still trying to establish who recommended this .......
(If part of your case at appeal is going to be the fact that rest breaks weren't allowed, you'll need to produce evidence that an appropriate professional made such a recommendation.)
Are rest breaks normally given in the classroom situation, and if so how frequently?
- yes rest breaks allowed in classroom
Good, but how frequently? After 20 minutes? After 40 minutes?
Verbal 45 percentile only given
It's unusual for all the percentiles not to be given. Without having seen the existing report, I'm afraid it's very difficult for me to suggest whether you need another opinion.
Etienne
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

if we are to appeal under this ground - unsuitable SEN allowances made, do we do it now via the HT or do we wait till March 2011 via council. what about if the HT does not support -just heard Ht does not support 11+ appeals regardless of scores - very reluctant - booked an appt to see HT after the break.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In your area I would have thought you could only appeal after 1st March.

It's not impossible to win an appeal without headteacher support, but it's more difficult.
Etienne