Options

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loo1965

Options

Post by loo1965 »

Just after a bit of advice regarding an Independent V Grammar. Our DS is in year 5 at a local prep school - he is a very keen and talented sportsman. We may be lucky enough to get quite a good bursary offer from Oakham school ( initial conversations with them have suggested this). We like Oakham because of its emphasis on sport and other facilities. I believe they can go from year 6 ( age 10) but if we did this he wouldn't be able to take 11 + would he? Also he would have to take an entrance exam - on the website it suggests that this isn't necessarily pass or fail ? does anyone know different? The reason why i want him to take 11+ is that if unfortunately something happened with our finances and we had to take him out he might be at a disadvantage when trying to go to a grammar - would this be the case? would he have to sit another exam at the grammar anyway? The local schools are not an option at all!!!

The local grammar - Kings is highly sought after - only take top 25%, but obviously less hassle to travel, whereas Oakham approx 20 miles - no bus available

Just wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experiences good or bad

Thanks

Loo :)
hermanmunster

Re: Options

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Oakham v nice - but travelling that much is a problem! Many kids do day boarding there which may help but will also add to the financial burden.

They can go to Oakham in year 6, 7 or 9. - however year 6 not good if you are thinking of trying the 11 plus too as the exam would be withing weeks of him starting at Oakham.

The 11 plus for Kings is in the autumn and the the results are through late October (just now in fact) - so you know the answer before he would take the year 7 entry for Oakham which is not until early in the new year.

Re going to GS if leaving Oakham - yes he would have to take a test then and places may be tight,
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I have spent two years helping a child secure a scholarship and bursary to Oakham. Are you sure about being offered a bursary in Yr6? We were told that they would only consider a bursary for Yr7 but were willing to have the child in Yr6, which was impossible due to financial constraints. It may be a risk to send him in Yr6 without a bursary in the hopes he will get one in Yr7 as new pupils may apply who are stronger sportsmen/women and Oakham may feel differently by the time Yr7 comes. I would wait until Yr7 and sit for King's and Oakham then.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed WFG - the bursaries are usually only year 7 and above and some of the scholarships 13+.

However things change and maybe the OP has been offered some help in year 6 - however if there is some doubt about staying at the school then best not to start in year 6 but go for the full fun of year 6 complete with 11 plus and Indie exams :roll: :wink:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I think you should also factor in the type of prep your son is in. If it is a school like Grantham Prep then the transition to King's should be fine, but if it is a school like Witham Hall then he may find King's a culture shock as WH is very traditional, small and nurturing and really does not prepare children socially for the grammar schools.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks for your replies. Te year 6/7 entry is interesting as it was me who didnt know they accepted year 6 children - they asked me. We have filled out financial assesment papers which have been looked at although i believe these have to be assessed formally, they have given us an indication of likely support.

He doesnt go to a place like WH so thats not a problem. We are both thinking year 7, sitting grammar and indie but just wanted your views. Do you know how difficult the indie paper is likely to me - how mach emphasis is put on that? or do they consider prep report etc... just as much

Thanks

Loo
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I get the feeling that the Oakham exam is nowhere near the 11 plus exam - different though as has english and maths papers.

really think year 7 for both would be best as then he can do the exams with other kids in his year and you are better informed with all the results available
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now