Ribston Hall - is there a ranking?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ginger1

Ribston Hall - is there a ranking?

Post by Ginger1 »

Hi Guys - Been reading all the posts and wondered if Ribston Hall puts out a ranking? My DD passed - just - with 211...I am so proud of her as she is smart but struggled with getting the test finished on time -is it a done deal that she wont get a place scoring so low??...I need to manage her expectations and maybe focus on the other Gloucester schools. No grounds to appeal other than she has great sats and cats and does great in class...Can anyone offer me a glimmer of hope? I am confident it is the right school for her and I dont think she would be at the bottom.....
Reading all the fab results on this forum make me thinks we just havent got a hope... :(
EmeraldE

Re: Ribston Hall - rank?

Post by EmeraldE »

Fear not! Last year Ribston was undersubscribed. In other words, as far as I know, everyone who passed and put it on the CAF got the school place they requested. Bear in mind that this year is a low birth rate year (word on the gossip grapevine is that numbers taking the test are down on previous years) and it appears more girls passed for Pates (therefore freeing up potential places for Denmark Rd and Ribston)

All is far from lost :D If it is anything like last year, and there is no reason to suspect it won't be, then your DD stands a good chance of a place. You just have to make sure you put Ribston and sit tight until National Allocation Day. Make sure and put a good comp just in case but I don't reckon you will need it.

Give your DD a big hug :)
Ginger1

Re: Ribston Hall - is there a ranking?

Post by Ginger1 »

Ah bless for for responding! :) we will just have to be extremely patient, like everyone else, and put it on the back burner and wait 'til spring. I know things have a habit of working out for the best but I'll keep everything crossed just in case. Thankyou :D
Last edited by Ginger1 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peahen

Post by peahen »

Ginger1 - we are in exactly the same boat as you - score of 211 for Ribston Hall (DD is v pleased as that's where she wants to go), so will put it first on the form and keep fingers crossed!!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Ginger1 wrote:Reading all the fab results on this forum make me thinks we just havent got a hope... :(
Hi Ginger1

I just wanted to add that the results on this forum are not necessarily a true reflection of the "real world" results so please do not take anything away from your DD who has done so well to achieve the result she did in the tests.

I wish both you and her all the best for allocation day, and hopefully you can come back and give us the great news that she has her place then.

B

PS Peahen welcome and well done to your DD too - stick around and let us know how you get on
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hi Ginger1

I just wanted to add that the results on this forum are not necessarily a true reflection of the "real world" results so please do not take anything away from your DD who has done so well to achieve the result she did in the tests.
That is so so true. I just bumped into the parents of the most able little boy I have ever taught: he is renowned at school for getting 100% in one of his CATs tests. He had no coaching for the tests whatsoever because his parents were just unaware of the coaching culture and even if they had been aware, they could not afford to have had him coached. He didn't pass. The primary school I am talking about is littered with similar cases, though this is an extreme. You are right to be proud of your daughter for doing so well - this is a highly competitive and stressful business for all concerned and since last year when we went through it, I have learned so much about it, which has convinced me that any child who gets anywhere near the score of any of the Gloucestershire grammar schools has done amazingly, astonishingly well, especially if they do it with little or no coaching. Listen, there are people out there who spent 5 years building up to that day - and if you are not one of them, then you are competing with them. Celebrate your daughter's amazing achievement - she has done really well. And the chances are she will get into Ribston too, as the icing on the cake for you all. :)
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I agree - you have a fantastic chance of getting Ribston with that score - so don't worry. HSFG were accepting 210/211 last year too. Put Ribston first as your school choice and be very proud of your DD. Any pass is truely well done so don't fret about what any other DCs got. Ribston has a very nuturing ethos and respects all aspects of the girls abilities. You will not find any competitiveness on scores there. Singing, dancing, sport, drama, music - there is a chance to shine :D
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The 11+ is just a very crude way of judging ability, so any pass is great. Once they're in grammar school, it's probably difficult to work out who got what score in the test, as they'll all be excelling in some subjects that interest them & struggling with others. Some may be brilliant at maths but average at english, so that could pull down their 11+ score, yet they may end up as some of the most able within the school.

Finally, don't forget that the difference between the most & least able children at a grammar is a lot less than in either primary school or a true comprehensive.
Capers