SHS - how much movement will there be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
toffeeapple

SHS - how much movement will there be?

Post by toffeeapple »

Very pleased to say that DD got results yesterday and has passed for SHS, very proud and relieved she has passed! :D

However.... she is ranked in the early 200's with score of 226- do we stand a chance at all?

Does anyone know how much movement there has been in previous year's or how low the offers got to last year?

Any feedback would be much appreciated as need to prepare dd if she is very unlikely to get a place. :D
doneanddusted

Re: SHS - how much movement will there be?

Post by doneanddusted »

We felt we had to tick the SHS box, like many here. Our DS has scored in their top 120, but will need to go to either Denmark Road or Ribston for geographical reasons. I am sure we are not the only ones. I think there will be lots of movement.
happychap

Post by happychap »

HI Toffee Apple,

I know that at least 2 girls on here are going to Pates having passed for Stroud High.

I reckon there will be lots like us who ticked all 4 girls schools.

No idea of the history in previous years I am afraid.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

toffeeapple, well done to your DD for passing. I know that last year a DC ranked 181 got in on the first round on allocation day, and 188 got in on appeal. Its worth knowing that SHS always take 8 children on appeal as they can manage with 32 in each class, so if you really want a place it might be worth thinking about appealing if you don't get a place in march.

Good luck

Pixiequeen
capers123

Post by capers123 »

pixiequeen wrote:188 got in on appeal. Its worth knowing that SHS always take 8 children on appeal as they can manage with 32 in each class, so if you really want a place it might be worth thinking about appealing if you don't get a place in march.
Note that appeals panels tend not to 'just allow the next 8 on the list'.

Firstly, they are not told the waiting list position, as a waiting list is not connected to appeals (though they are told the scores, so could 'rank' the children if they wanted).

Secondly, an appeal is where mitigating circumstances are taken into account, so if Granny died the night before the exam (and it does happen), the panel might decide that a child with a lower score would probably have been a bit distracted, and would have had a higher score that the problem not happened. They also have to weigh up each case against each other, so who is the higher priority - a child who score a bit high but whose cousin died a week before the exam, or a lower score with granny the night before the exam.

They also look at academic information from the schools, old reports, and basically anything that the parents wish to submit to support the evidence. Some parents even take the child to the appeal, but although this is legally permitted, it isn't advisable.

Parents also need to make the case of 'why my child really needs to go to school X'.
Capers
toffeeapple

Post by toffeeapple »

Thanks for all your feedback everybody!

We havn't got any grounds for appeal, dd did as well as expected on the day, no illness or bereavements (thanks goodness), so she did the best she could and we just have to hope that there were lots of people ticking all four boxes! Also hoping that with more girls seeming to have passed for Pates this year the waiting list for the girls may go a bit lower than it did last year!

Fingers crossed and good luck to everybody in the twlight zone! :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Capers will correct me if I am wrong but as your DC passed the exam your appeal will primarily be based on the school having room for her. If SHS can accommodate 8 more children then in your position I would appeal. Nothing to lose really just make sure you have a good back comp.

Good luck and congrats as she did pass.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tolstoy wrote:Capers will correct me if I am wrong but as your DC passed the exam your appeal will primarily be based on the school having room for her. If SHS can accommodate 8 more children then in your position I would appeal. Nothing to lose really just make sure you have a good back comp.
Tolstoy is correct. With a pass, it's purely an oversubscrition appeal - ie, proving that the school can take extra children and then why one of them should be your daughter. The first part is easy, and if you don't ask the right questions of the school, the panel will! The second part is down to you.
Capers
peahen

Post by peahen »

So - does this mean (as I suspect) that DD who is ranked in the 230's has next to no chance of a place? If so, then I guess it's pretty much a wasted choice on the CAF, unless we were considering an appeal (I don't think we are).

She has passed for Ribston (just!) and that is where she wants to go, so we are thinking of putting that as first choice and hoping for the best!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Peahen I don't know anything about the Stroud schools sorry so not sure how much of a chance you have of getting a place. What I would say is if it is the school you want your daughter to go to then put it first on your list. You don't have to worry about appealing if it comes to that until March and then only if you don't get offered a place there. Nobody can appeal until March anyway as that is when you get the school offers.

Putting Ribston second will not in anyway affect your chances of gaining a place there should SHS be full. It effectively becomes your first choice and you will gain priority over anyone with a lower score even if they put it first.

Just make sure you put your catchment comprehensive somewhere after these two.

Good luck.