Conflicting opinions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

madasahatter

Conflicting opinions?

Post by madasahatter »

To everyone's surprise DS did not pass yesterday....
I am in two minds about what to do.
His scores were
NVR 113
VR 122
Maths 131

The school did appeal without our knowledge and were turned down, his previous CATS were a 95 centile and he wasn't tutored - they were very surprised he didn't pass. His total is high enough but his NVR was too weak. His teacher said he was extremely surprised he hadn't passed "he is definitely grammar school material".... we're flattered but is there any point in appealing. I'm sure loads will try it too.

Has anyone been in this situation and can give me their 2 pence worth (everyone else is anyway) ... including other parents who "apologise to you".... like if someone has died :?
U400JB9

Re: Conflicting opinions?

Post by U400JB9 »

We had scores of NVR 121, VR 120 and Maths 109....we appealed and were successful.

My gut feeling was if I didn`t appeal I would always wonder.....and I felt after all her hard work I owed it to her to give it a go.

Its not a fun process but if you decide to go ahead then you`ve found the best place for all the support and advice.

I`m not sure whereabouts you are based as I think that will have a bearing on the success rate too
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

We're TW and DS wants boys grammar...

I am in two minds as his teacher is very much behind us and willing to help us.... the head was more philosphical and said most appeals fail and as his appeal had already failed......
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

It could be worth asking for a copying of the HT appeal to see what comments were made for the refusal there. Is there something the HT appeal highlighted that they felt was weak where the school didn't provide enough evidence. My DS had similar scores last year with similar CAT scores. We did appeal and his high CATs scores were stated in one of the successful appeals as being a reason for being successful.

If the HT is supportive that may help you. Also don't consider other people at this point do what you feel is right for your child, you have along time between now and March to decide and you will swing back and forth in your decision.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

Fluffy - did you HT appeal before you got the results in Oct or do you mean YOU appealed?

Also DS 's teacher said DS did NOT guess anything on his NVR and left many unanswered when he ran out of time which he says was probably why he failed it :-(

I was hoping for a grammar place as the other school he could go to.... has some of the bullies we left behind a few years ago... they amy all right now but I'd prefer to avoid this if I can.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Out teacher and HT were very supportive. We failed at HT appeal because they said her written english was not up to Grammar standard.....

We used the same grounds as the HT appeal for our own appeal and were successful. Both the HT and teacher produced evidence of improvement in english and maths....which, between Oct and July when our appeal was, was significant.

Our appeal was in East Kent, which is a non selective area. If `he who must not be named` is right, places at the non selective grammars in west kent are going to be much sought after following the adjundicators decision.

Reading what you have to say I think you should appeal or you will always wonder.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Our HT appealed before we got the results and then we appealed in July.

In the HT appeal they critised my DS creative writing, which we were told was a very weak reason for turning the appeal down (by he who must not be named).

It may be worth going to KCC to look at his papers to see how accurate his answers for NVR were on the questions he did do. That may tell you how well he could have done if he'd had more time. I'm not saying this would stand up in an appeal but it may explain to you what went wrong on the day for him.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

I will go and see his tests.... where do we go for this?
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

You need to contact admissions either by phone or email and they arrange times to visit and view - you don't have to be in too much of a hurry and they are very helpful and pleasant
becs1

Post by becs1 »

Well done on DS passing two papers. 113, (maybe only 2 questions )definatley worth appealing if its what you and your child want. You can get KCC to remark papers manually if you phone and ask. (worth a go). This site is full of advice and really helped me when i appealed last year. Good luck whatever you decide.