State Schools Low pass rate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muma2

State Schools Low pass rate

Post by muma2 »

What does it mean...State schools are just not getting high numbers through yet all the Prep Schools in the area pass with flying colours??
How can State schools compete?.....does it mean that if I send my child to a local feeder school I have to do all the legwork at home? Get tutors in? Surely not....how can it be that the grammars can't sift out the naturally clever children. Maybe they should get back to reading the kids work. The marks don't correlate. Creative writing sorts it out!
hermanmunster

Re: State Schools Low pass rate

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Muma2 - has this happened in your area ? People sometimes feel it does but actually the numbers even out.

If in fact there are higher pass rates at preps it could be for any number of reasons.

Maybe the kids at Prep schools are naturally brighter?
Maybe the prep school tuition helps? (it is all my kids had)
Maybe the prep school kids also see a tutor? (plenty do - doesn't always help)

You mention Creative writing - consider:
Some extremely bright kids can't naturally create but can solve maths problems
Creative writing can be practised and practised and practised....
muma2

Post by muma2 »

Prep Schools are trained to pass an exam. I would love to know how many Prep School kids passed in the area against the State School. They have a different Maths curriculum, do once a week comprehensions, timed tests and hammer VR and Non VR to within an inch of their lives.

Are they bright? Some are

Some most definitely are not.

And when there have been many surprises this year in 5 State schools I know of, you are left wondering why the grammars are not picking up on this!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

the state schools are not allowed to coach for elevenplus.

not all independent schools coach either and many follow the same maths curriculum..
muma2

Post by muma2 »

All Prep Schools in the Trafford area coach.... they can't afford not to coach.

State schools don't.. My original point ..How can State Schools compete?

All Prep Schools in the Trafford area have a completely independent Maths Curriculum. That is a fact.
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

I think, to put it simply, that the state schools can't compete. That's it. :( State school parents can compete by getting tutors, or doing the work themselves.

My daughter thinks that there are only 3 girls in her class that went to state school. I can't believe that having parents who can afford private education has made the other girls naturally so much more intelligent than their state-educated peers!
muma2

Post by muma2 »

My point exactly. The kids in prep schools are not all clever bods. The children in state schools are not being taught the things they need to pass an exam. It comes down to relentless practicing, timing and a completely different maths curriculum.

I asked my child how he does a long multiplication sum. Five minutes later and FINALLY an answer. He doesn't need to understand the process yet. I taught him the old way of doing long multiplication and BINGO!! he got right. In one minute flat.

And that's all that happens in a grammar school exam. They test those who are getting the sums right...VERY quickly. It took my son 5 min to work out the answers when doing the state school way.Change the way you teach maths back to the way we used to do it methinks!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Yes they do maths a strange way now. Chunking- whatever that is :? Manys the falling out I have had over maths with my son.

As to the preps, yes I believe they do intenstively prepare which is why state school children have to be tutored either at home or by a tutor. But if I had the prep school money, I would have done it!! I haven't though sadly :(

At AGSB when we went to the induction evening, there was a fair old sprinkling of prep school uniforms but as many state schools, I would say roughly half and half.
muma2

Post by muma2 »

Half and half..how many prep schools in South trafford and how many state schools. Not a true reflection of ability .. I totally believe in state schools and I have no problem in Prep schools whatsoever. We just can't expect clever kids to pass an exam they have had no preparation for from their state school. ~And the grammar schools should identify a way of sorting this out!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

What do the Trafford exams consist of ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now