Alternatives to Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CandyCat

Alternatives to Grammar Schools

Post by CandyCat »

Not sure if I'm in the right place for asking this question but I'll ask anyway and wait to be corrected.....

Now that the whole entrance exams saga is out of the way, the reality of physically getting DS to his GS of choice is sinking in (IF he is offered a place next March) - some really valid / interesting comments being made on a separate thread about this.

SO, we're wondering what the alternatives to grammar schools would be. DS is bright but not exceptional, likes his sport but not super talented, and he currently attends a lovely but teeny teeny village school. He is not very street-wise at all which is why local comp is probably not the right environment for him. Anyone out there have any knowledge of the local independent schools? Transport/ travel to Kings in Gloucester, Kings in Worcester, Bredon School, Bowbrook House School are all do-able and not too painful. There are no buses to Tommies or the Crypt from our neck of the woods but there is transport available for the indies mentioned above. Anyone know of any reason to steer clear from any of them?!!!
Amber

Re: Alternatives to Grammar Schools

Post by Amber »

Go and look at them and get a feel for each! If one thing is clear from this forum, it is that one man's meat is another man's poison - the right school is the one which suits your child. Good for you in thinking of the travel though - it is easy to underestimate the grinding effect of a long haul to school - and parents rejoicing that a DC has passed for a prestigious GS might find it harder than most to accept that a journey might place a strain on a child.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

What Amber said!
Yes,IF you can do Indy(we cant-not for 4 of them!)then go and look....I know a few boys at Kings(Glos)and also two at Bredon...all are extremely happy and Bredon,I believe,is VERY good with the whole pastoral care thing(V.important IMO)and suits boys very well.Kings is quite sporty,or so my friends say,but honestly Id go and look-nothing to lose!
I do agree its hard with no buses to STRS from our neck of the woods...meaning Pates is our only Grammar with a bus service-!?gah!Apparently they do do one to HSFG but not Tommies :( !
Silly as its not miles and miles away is it?just that it is if you have to do it with other children to consider(in my situation)*sigh*
Thats one of the main reasons for me hoping 14 shove off the Pates waiting list...the logistics of it all HAVE to be considered.That said,the local comp(a good one)isnt somewhere that would suit ds1,so its something we too,will have to address.
Good luck!
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

Sorry don't know much about any of these schools, but have come across a number of the King's School (Glos) primary school children at music festivals, sports events, etc. they have always shown great sportsmanship and might not have always won, but were still a credit to their school.

Hope you can post a bit of info here about local indie schools, as there are probably a good few others interested.

A lot of indie schools offer scholarships.
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

Hi there. I know a bit as I have investigated this too (for similar logistical reasons)
Bredon very good for pastoral care and have a lot of kids who need a bit more help but go on to do very well. Very farmy environment which would suit some kids down to the ground.
Kings worcester very different! LOTS of opportunities/ clubs etc. Very driven and they have VERY high expectations of the kids there, but very friendly atmostphere and not at all 'stuck up' like most indies I have had experience of. Kids are made aware of parental sacrifice to get them there. The entrance test is quite a challenge I understand.
Had DD1 not passed her 11+ that was my main destination for her had we been able to manage it!

As will all indies don't forget the very long holidays (8-10 weeks in the summer &5 at easter/ Christmas) if you work as this WILL become a major bone of contention. Plus they do have long hopurs at school when they are there, staying later than state sector. This may be a factor for you. The uniforms tend to cost the earth too.....

Go and have a look round them all (and take a note book, or they all merge into 1 I found!)
You will soon get a feel for which would be right for your DC
capers123

Post by capers123 »

In all seriousness - can he sing?

If so, worth looking at Choral scholarships at the two Kings. Though there is a bit of extra commitment from the parents for non-school day services!
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Capers re choral scholarships is it worth getting the child singing lessons or are they happy to judge on natural talent alone. Long way off this dilemma but forewarned is fore- armed as they say. Plus do they combine a choral with a scholarship, I know they will combine sport ones.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tolstoy wrote:Capers re choral scholarships is it worth getting the child singing lessons or are they happy to judge on natural talent alone. Long way off this dilemma but forewarned is fore- armed as they say. Plus do they combine a choral with a scholarship, I know they will combine sport ones.
The lad I know who got one had no voice coaching, but could read music. They work on raw talent. They get a very generous scholarship whilst in the choir, then a pretty good one for the rest of the school career. No idea about combining scholarships, though.
Capers
CandyCat

Post by CandyCat »

Thats really useful advice guys thanks.

Dont worry, I have the financial situation covered mumintewkes - now doing the National Lottery on line on a standing order basis so its just a matter of time........... :wink:

Unfortunately, DS takes after his mother in the singing department and we're likely to risk personal injury claims if he subjects others to his singing but its def a great option for others to consider.

Does anybody have any experience of the academic scholarship exams? Are they tougher than the GS entrance exams?
morrisdancingmummy

Post by morrisdancingmummy »

Will be more like a Bham 11+ with verbal reasoning, non verbal, maths and english as well as an interview! I would advise getting someone to do a mock interview with them. Scolarship exams are not too far away so not much time to do those other subjects. Remember scholarships often (but not always) go to internal candidates as they start preparing them very early....... But are always worth going for- nothing to lose apart from your registration fee! And the time spent preparing obviously! :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now