Shortlist

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dani*

Shortlist

Post by dani* »

Having considered our options, we are now able to narrow it down to 2 schools.

We like both C&S + BGS. According to the league tables both schools are about the same level, however, and as far too often, the devil appears to be in the details.

Based on the GCSE results breakdown provided with the brochures, there seems to be a considerable difference between both these schools.

We are finding it difficult to decide between them. One of these choices would however involve a 15min walk + 30 min bus journey + 10 walk at the other end. Considering DD's busy after school schedule and considering the amount of homework, we wonder if this would be too much. The 2nd school is only a 20 minute walk away from where we live. We know parents with children at both these schools and everyone seems to be very happy with both.

I have attempted to discuss this rationaly with DD, however she seems to be completly overwelmed by it all.

Realistically, we are likely to get both schools if we put them as a first choice.

Anyone in the same predicament? Any advice/views very much appreciated.
mad?

Re: Shortlist

Post by mad? »

Lucky you! Personally I'd go for the 20 minute walk. That's nearly 3 hours a week 'saved' and will make participation in extra curricular activites much easier. Good luck.
mad?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

As you like both schools and there is not an obvious 'winner' between them, I would choose the nearest school. The quality of life gained from a shorter journey is an important consideration.

Good luck with your decision.
Mrs Jones

Post by Mrs Jones »

Definitely agree with all of the above. I was in the exact same position as you last year, tossing up over C&S and BGS. Loved both schools although DD was slightly biased towards one. Honestly if you can't split them, choose the closest one. I was still stressing whether we had chosen the right school after submitting the CAF form but so relieved a few weeks down the track when it was dark at 4.00pm, that we had picked the closer of the 2 schools. A year down the track I know we made the right decision. I think DD is coping so well and enjoying many after school actiivites because her travel time is minimal - I really think she would have been happy in either school but we are glad we made the choice that gives us all a better quality of life. I also like the fact that I can pop out and pick her up when necessary if she has activities that finish late, in minimal time. Of course many children travel quite a distance to school each morning - some have no choice and some travel to schools that are better suited to them but if you like both schools then why not make life easier for yourself and your DD!

Good luck with your decision - either way it won't be a bad choice :D
dani*

Post by dani* »

Trouble is that the one we like most is the one further away. However, taking the travel in to consideration it is probably for the best to stick to the one close to home. We realize that we are very lucky to have the choice between these great schools. A lot of parents are less fortunate, in fact thinking about it, perhaps we are being rather spoiled! :oops:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dani, you won't go wrong with either but check out the 6th form options, BGS do the IB exceptionally well.

Also, languages. At BGS they choose French or German in year 7, then in year 8 get to take another from a range of French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Russian, Spanish. Latin is also taken from year 7 but can be dropped from year 8.

There is an option to take a further language from year 10 if you fancy the challenge!
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks Tracy,

In addition to the points you have made, it all seems to be about GCSE A and A* results nowadays. Based on the A-C results both schools are doing more or less the same, but looking at the A*/A results BGS does a lot better in most subjects.