Success at appeal for oversubscribed GS for HS Child

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kccmum

Success at appeal for oversubscribed GS for HS Child

Post by kccmum »

Does anyone know of the success rate for a child deemed non selective gaining entry to a GS at appeal? I'm really unsure as to what to do my child had a aggregate score to pass but failed due to not getting the required mark (114?) on one paper, the HT was unsuccessful in their request to have this overturned but are strongly supporting us for appeal. My problem is that for each of my choices on my CAF the schools are oversubscribed. If all these school places are filled before we even have the chance to appeal,you are then placed in the same category as those that have passed but didn't get a place, there doesn't seem much chance of our appeal being successful. Why would a GS consider a non selective child over a GS child? It seems like you are given the choice to appeal but actually its meaningless, or have I misunderstood the procedure?
T12ACY

Re: Success at appeal for oversubscribed GS for HS Child

Post by T12ACY »

Which schools / area are you asking about? It can make a big difference!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
sp

Post by sp »

If an appeal is successful then the school have to offer a place, regardless of children still on waiting list. What you are appealing for is why your child should be offered a place, not for them to be given a "pass".
kccmum

Post by kccmum »

We are in NW Kent. I understand I am appealing for a place, but what I meant was that we will be competeing against children that have 'passed' who don't have to provide the additional evidence as to whether they are selective or not. We will have to argue our case on both ability & oversubscription I wanted to know if anyone knew of success rate or a case that has won in a similar situation?
Also I'm not sure I understand the place allocation can anyone tell me if this the correct order of events- All places get allocated on National offer day, subsequently offers are then accepted or declined, any vacant spaces then get filled from the school's waiting list, then appeals get heard?
When you get your refusal of a school place does that letter tell you how to appeal to schools as I'm not sure how you get registered as an appeal case? The more I read at the moment the more I'm confusing myself!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I can't offer any specific advice but if you go to the KCC website

http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... peals.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is a guide to appealing.

This might make things a little clearer - hope it helps
Alex

Post by Alex »

kccmum wrote:Does anyone know of the success rate for a child deemed non selective gaining entry to a GS at appeal? I'm really unsure as to what to do my child had a aggregate score to pass but failed due to not getting the required mark (114?) on one paper, the HT was unsuccessful in their request to have this overturned but are strongly supporting us for appeal. My problem is that for each of my choices on my CAF the schools are oversubscribed. If all these school places are filled before we even have the chance to appeal,you are then placed in the same category as those that have passed but didn't get a place, there doesn't seem much chance of our appeal being successful. Why would a GS consider a non selective child over a GS child? It seems like you are given the choice to appeal but actually its meaningless, or have I misunderstood the procedure?
Your appeal(s) will be against non-qualification and oversubsciption. The panel should deal with the non-qualification issue first. If, having considered all the evidence, it decides that your child should be deemed qualified then it will go on to consider all the reasons you wish to put forward why your child should have a place at the school in the same way as it will consider those reasons for a child who has already qualfied before the appeal stage. However, you will have to put forward all your arguments against both non-qualification and oversubscription at the same hearing and will not know what the panel may or may not decide on the non-qualification issue before having to deal with the oversubscription issue.

Here in Lincs for many of the schools the figures do not show that non-qualifiers are necessarily at a disadvantage when there are also qualifiers appealing. Perhaps people more knowleageable from your own area can tell you more about rates of success for the particular schools you want.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We will have to argue our case on both ability & oversubscription I wanted to know if anyone knew of success rate or a case that has won in a similar situation?
I don't have any figures for Kent, but yes, I have heard of successful cases where both hurdles (non-qualification & oversubscription) have been overcome.
All places get allocated on National offer day, subsequently offers are then accepted or declined, any vacant spaces then get filled from the school's waiting list, then appeals get heard?
That looks right.
When you get your refusal of a school place does that letter tell you how to appeal to schools
That is what I would expect.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We are not in W.Kent. but we appealed against oversubscription and non-qualification and were successful.

It was very traumatic, but I`m glad we did it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

U400JB9's case is one of a number I was thinking of. :)

There was also a late appeal just a couple of weeks ago (West Kent) where the parent won both the non-qualification and the oversubscription arguments, and the child has been admitted. - PS: This case also had a high enough aggregate score to pass, but the minimum required mark had not been achieved on one paper.
Etienne
kccmum

Post by kccmum »

Sorry for the delay in replying we have been away...just wanted to say thank you for all your responses.

Still feeling very mixed up with deciding the best way forward and have had many sleepless nights (with more to follow I'm sure!!), especially after reading through the forum and seeing how many other children are in the same situation.. at the moment I see-saw between feeling sad & then being determined to turn this into a positive. I will definitely be trawling through these pages for comfort & information in the months to come. :)