Pate's tomorrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muminTewkes

Pate's tomorrow

Post by muminTewkes »

So?who's going?
We are there in the morning and going to STRS straight after.
Im interested to see what what :D is it ALL the people that passed(top 120) or just the ones on the waiting list?
My top questions at Pate's will be...what are ds's chances being 134 on the list and does he really have to do a lot of music/arty stuff or can he just play sport? :wink:and what actually does this visit entail,is it long?(we have to be at strs at 11.30!)
I'm more comfortable with what Tommys has on offer so I'll just be happy to have another whizz around.
Anyone else.... :?:
EmeraldE

Re: Pate's tomorrow

Post by EmeraldE »

I went last year and head gives a little pep talk about how well they have done, how Pates is welcoming and will look after them etc. Then a look about, about 2 hours in total, but you can leave at any time.
(They say you can leave... I was locked in the science lab but I escaped using copper wire and litmus paper, waaahaaa haaaaa :twisted: )

Not able to go this time unfortunately as DS2 has a 'thing' to do at assembly.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

That will be us racing down the motorway with kids flying behind then....am a little daunted at the prospect of breast feeding(as is BOUND to happen)in front of Mr.Fenton :roll: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sabanna

Post by Sabanna »

I will be taking dd to have a look - our first.

Another girl we know will not be taking her place so that's one freed up for the waiting list.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

We'll be there and will probably stay until they throw us out so we take in as much as we can. (I was going to say we might have to stay until they let us out at the end of half term if we have to figure out a means of escape, but this is DH and DD2 - they would find a way! :roll: :lol: )

Question top of my list: When will your dad retire and stop touring? :shock: No, not really! :lol:

We have a few to ask, but they might get answered on the tour. What are the lunches like; what extra curricular activities might DD be interested in; what do the girls' uniforms look like (what do they look like on their way home!) Are there friendly catch - up classes for anyone who falls behind or just needs something tricky explained again?

I would like to know about how they address the issue of racism, as that can often reveal how good a school really is at fostering relationships between pupils...But I probably won't be brave enough, and this trip is for DD's benefit, not mine and she would probably not like me to ask that.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

muminTewkes wrote:That will be us racing down the motorway with kids flying behind then....am a little daunted at the prospect of breast feeding(as is BOUND to happen)in front of Mr.Fenton :roll: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He has 2 young ones of his own (and you know we all have been there at some stage!) am sure he will not notice - or no one would know if he did. ;)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Whilst merrily feeding DS3 at the back of the church, many moons ago, the vicar very kindly brought the Bishop of St Davids up to me for an introduction. I declined to shake hands as it was a bit tricky. Poor vicar went a little :oops:
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Lunch is apparently amazing. They have a curry bar and panini's are popular. Most kids eat lunch at late break time so they can fit in lunchtime clubs. I do believe that there can be queues at this time and so getting there early is a must. There are plans afoot for a brand new refectory (state of the art by all accounts). http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/index.ph ... anned-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Girls uniform, pale grey skirt (supposed to be knee length) a black blazer (there will be some second hand ones available for sale closer to the admission time) with school logo on the pocket. WHite shirt and black/grey/red striped tie. The PE kit causes more issues, especially the sizing for skorts (do get advice from parents of DD's before you buy). Kit is bought both online (for sport) and at The Famous in Cheltenham for blazers etc.

When we asked about discipline we were informed that there are really no formal rules at school and that pupils naturally gravitate to good behaviour if they are not well behaved in the first instance. Let's be honest they should know about respecting others (the basics of most school discipline policies) by age 11/12 and if not...oh dear :oops: . If there was an issue I would speak to form tutor.

As for help when falling behind, not seen hide nor hair of that. We were assured at one meeting that the kids will be able to keep up and do the work. DS1 is sometimes unsure about maths, and my DH has had to help him out (my weakest area). I would be interested to know the reply to that question myself so if you find out, let us know!

Clubs and lunchtime activities kick in about week 3 when they are sent an e-mail on the intranet at school. They seem to be run mainly by the 6th form. DS does Writing Club but there is Art, Drama, Lego (I think), Chess, Computer Programming etc. I do believe there are also staff run clubs such as Science Club, Latin and Mandarin (someone correct me if I am wrong)

I hope I am not spoiling it for you all!

PS. the litmus paper is in the third drawer on the left. Good luck! :D
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Tolstoy wrote:Whilst merrily feeding DS3 at the back of the church, many moons ago, the vicar very kindly brought the Bishop of St Davids up to me for an introduction. I declined to shake hands as it was a bit tricky. Poor vicar went a little :oops:

Tolstoy..I have oh so many of those moments over the last 10 years(and a few children!) :oops: .....
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I will be there tomorrow. Top of my list of questions is"How important are the (paid for) extra curricular activities to dcs education?" If hes going to struggle to keep up as we cant afford things there is no point in him going! :(
What clubs etc are free?
Why does this school do so well when compared to other schools,is it just down to them having the "brightest students".
I still quite believe that we are even considering it as a possibillity now that the tests are done. I obviously dont give my ds1 enough credit :lol: :oops:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now