Testing, testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Testing, testing

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Am I the only one who has been surprised by how many tests our DCs have had in their first half term at secondary school? DS seems to be taking it all in his stride, but I'm astonished. So far DS has had CATs (fair enough), end of topic tests for numerous topics and now a week of baseline tests for almost all of his subjects. :roll: In between the tests they have lessons on how to approach the tests. :lol:
I must add a caveat that tests aside he also has some jolly, fun lessons :)
I'd be interested in the experiences of others. Is this how it is nowadays? When I taught years ago we didn't seem to test anywhere near as much. There must be a huge amount of pressure on teachers (DH, who's still at the chalk face, agrees).
T12ACY

Re: Testing, testing

Post by T12ACY »

LOL - Yep, pretty much same here.

DS has had CAT tests, half termly assessments, post admission tests (DS was a late applicant and all the others did this on the taster day), homework tests on websites I had never heard of, the list goes on. My favourite has been the stamina test, with a 10 mile sponsored walk :shock:

All the results are published for parents to view and track progress online.... It's like waiting for the KT results all over again each day waiting to see what the latest 'scores' are! Think I need another distraction in life :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
bcookerblum

Re: Testing, testing

Post by bcookerblum »

Just maths tests in the first week or two of term for setting and then the usual tests you might expect( the odd vocab test in languages, that sort of thing). That's all I've heard about from ds in yr7 anyway.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now