Transport from Malmesbury to Pate's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cat90

Transport from Malmesbury to Pate's

Post by Cat90 »

Hi, Does anyone know if there is transport available from Malmesbury to Pate's?

Any children from Malmesbury travelling to Pate's?
happychap

Re: Transport from Malmesbury to Pate's

Post by happychap »

Would love to help but showing my ignorance! Don't know where Malmsbury is!

I am sure that someone will come along who can help!
cheltgirl

Post by cheltgirl »

Without sounding rude, you are mad to even contemplate the idea.
It will take you at least an hour to drive each way.
Think of your son/daughter and consider them and how tired they will get.
Also all the after school stuff they will miss.
Last edited by cheltgirl on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

There is a bus from Minchinhampton. I think it leaves at about 7:15, getting back at 4:45. Add on the 20 mins each way from Malmesbury. In Winter you may well find that it won't run in snow.

That's a longer day than I work (including travel), and I don't have to do homework! It's your childs life.

I know children in Chippenham who have gone to very good universities. Having gone to their local comp. And they also had a life, without having to drive to Bristol, Worcester, Swindon, Ross on Wye or Evesham or beyond for parties at the weekend.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

I live 6 miles from Pate's the other side and have a friend in Malmesbury. Really like her but have to gird my loins to bother doing the drive to see her! It's such a shame, all this pesky travel. Hope you sort out something which works well for you.
Cat90

Post by Cat90 »

Thank you for your feedback! I don't think is necessary to insult people as "mad" and it's only for the first months until we move house now we know the test result. I've always believed in helping other forum users with a positive feedback so insulting people as mad is so unnecessary.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Oh dear Cat90. It does seem that everyone is getting very stressed by the whole travel-time-to-school issue at the moment....

This is an emotive time for lots of people but I am sure we are all just trying to do the best for our children.

Anyway, hope someone is able to help you re buses until you relocate. Congratulations to your DS.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

We have thought long and hard about the travel from Stroud(25mins away on a good day) so for us that distance would clearly be a definite no.
If my ds is fortunate enough to be offered a place at Pates I know that we will be leaving the house at 7.30am to (hopefully)beat the worst of the traffic, and arriving home at roughly 6.15pm after he has attended a club(he throws himself into every opportunity that he can). He will then have homework and I know he would also like to see other friends. We will also have to have a cooked meal. All this before bed at 8.30 in order to be able to concentrate the next day.
An extra hr each way on top of this kind of day seems to me to be completely mad. I dont think you are mad,just the idea that a 10/11 year old could cope with the kind of day most adults find stressful and extremely tiring.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Cat90 wrote: it's only for the first months until we move house now we know the test result. .

As Cat90 has pointed out, the journey is only temporary until they can relocate!

Congratulations on your DC's result Cat90.

I am wondering whether the School could help with transport issues - I thought that Pates could put you in touch with parents who may be able to do lift sharing - I could be wrong but it may be worth asking the question.

I know Malmesbury is fair distance, but I am willing to bet there will be somebody travelling from that vicinity to Pates.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
happychap

Post by happychap »

At the morning at Pates yesterday, the head said that at the next meeting, after March and confirmation of places, there is the opportunity to sign up on different lists for details of lift sharing.

There might be others that appear as a result of that!

I hope that helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now