Kent results 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eve007

Kent results 2010

Post by eve007 »

I'd like to know how many passed the Kent PESE 11+ test this year in comparison to last year?
madasahatter

Re: Kent results 2010

Post by madasahatter »

There is info here
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/ ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to county education chiefs, KCC saw close to 11,000 children sit the 11-plus this year - about 250 fewer than the previous year.
Kent County Council said that of the 5,295 children who passed the 11-plus this year, 1,156 do not live in the county
eve007

Post by eve007 »

How does this compare with last year?
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

I am not sure what figure you are specifically looking for but if you read the short article I posted you can see
There are 4,475 places available at Kent’s 33 grammars this year, insufficient to meet demand on the basis of the number passing the test.
Does that answer your question? ARe you looking for something else?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I have merged the duplicate threads.
trumpet

Post by trumpet »

This is much the same in Bexley, More passers than places. However, my son son sat both test and passed. He will only be able to take up one space. I think there are quite a few people in the same position so somehow it sorts itself out. I know it does happen but it is not very often that children who have been deemed selective don't get a grammar place. Even if it is through appeals.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

With the Kent test most years there are more passes than places.

However there will many OOC candidates who will take a range of tests including Bexley, Medway, St Olaves, Surrey etc and won't take up places within Kent if they have done well enough to gain places in their own areas. Also most OOC candidates will only have super-selectives as an option so if they haven't scored highly enough (around 405 plus for West Kent supers) they won't be able to take up a place anyway.

Then there are Kent pupils who have taken 11+ and other entrance exams for counties other than Kent and who opt to take up those places out of county.

And don't forget those who go for the private route but who sit the Kent test as a backup.

Having read the Judd, Skinners' et al adjudication report it would seem there are only around 50 OOC pupils who actually take up a place in the West Kent supers at the start of term so initial stats seem much worse than they actually are and need to be viewed in context of what is in place at the beginning of the school year.
Lemmie

Post by Lemmie »

I'm new to the 11+ system this year, but I must say I've been surprised at how few children have scored 410+ at the 2 Primary Schools I know well.

Has anyone with prior experience got a feel for whether the overall scores are similar to previous years or a little lower? If they are lower, how much of an effect do you expect them to have on the entry requirements for the Super Selectives?

(I know this is all subjective and nothing is definite until March. Just wondering if others are thinking the same thing.)
SSM

Post by SSM »

Lemmie wrote:I'm new to the 11+ system this year, but I must say I've been surprised at how few children have scored 410+ at the 2 Primary Schools I know well.

Has anyone with prior experience got a feel for whether the overall scores are similar to previous years or a little lower? If they are lower, how much of an effect do you expect them to have on the entry requirements for the Super Selectives?
This question seems to be asked every year. The scores are standardised so there will always be the same number of pupils which gain 420.
westkent

Post by westkent »

Lemmie, I thought the same as you. The scores I have heard have all been lower than expected with the Maths seeming to be the one that has caught them out.

I had failed to fully understand the meaning of standardised scores, thinking it was just to do with the age of the child.

So the assumption that a child needed around 84% for Maths and 75% for VR and NVR to achieve 420 is in fact not the case. A particularly tricky paper could bring those scores right down if a certain % of children must get 140.