School choice order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

School choice order

Post by scarlett »

For our school choices, we are putting 2 grammar schools first ( because ds passed ) but are then putting Bennett memorial third. For our 2nd son ,who I don't think is grammar school material, we will put that first choice........so I would be interested to know if they had accepted our ds1 and then kcc ( hopefully ) will have given us one of the GS.Does anyone know if you can find out after allocations which schools on your scaf accepted you ? I hope this makes sense....you may have to read it twice ! :oops:
trumpet

Re: School choice order

Post by trumpet »

So what your asking is what schools would you also have been made offers for if they were higher on your list.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thats right.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I'm not sure if you find out if you have been allocated a place but you certainly get a letter from KCC if you have applied for a school and not been offered it so that you can apply to be on the waiting list. We got one last year for our 2nd choice school which we missed out on due to distance (but didn't go on the waiting list as we had first choice anyway).
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

From what I understand (I'm no expert), the schools are sent details of who has applied to them, but they don't know where you have placed them. ie. it doesn't matter whether you placed them first or last - as far as the school is concerned every application is a 'first place' offer. The school then will inform KCC whether they can accept you. ie. in terms 11+ pass, catchment area etc. KCC will then look at your list and will give you the highest ranking place you have listed.

Therefore, if you pass the 11+, and are in catchment/meet the criteria of Grange Hill or Waterloo Road then effectively you may be given four places by the four schools. Therfore, Bennet would accept you if you fulfil their entry criteria.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Scarlet I may have got the wrong end but I think DS1 is going to a grammar and Bennet will just be a placeholder on 3rd position. Scarlet doesnt want Bennett to know they put it on third position because he is still eyeing the school for DS2 as it will more likely be his first :lol:

Dont put it on the CAF then Scarlett if you are afraid your deeds may come in the open :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
Sausages

Post by Sausages »

Does anybody know if you were to put a school in 2nd place on your form and you were then offered your 1st choice place, can you then appeal to get your 2nd choice school or do you then have to accept your 1st place choice? Does that make any sense?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You can do that Sausages and remember you can put your DC down too on the waiting list at the same time going for an appeal if you were to change your mind to School 2.
Impossible is Nothing.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

sherry_d wrote:Scarlet doesnt want Bennett to know they put it on third position because he is still eyeing the school for DS2 as it will more likely be his first
Bennett will/should not be able to hold this against you - surely it would be illegal or at least grounds for appeal!

BTW I have a friend whose first child went grammar, but second child failed 11+ and has gone to Bennett so it certainly hasn't done them any harm putting Bennett as a lower preference on an older sibling's CAF.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sausages - you're not my dS are you? He asked exactly the same qu this morning!