headteacher appeal question for Etienne

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentmum2

headteacher appeal question for Etienne

Post by kentmum2 »

Hi Etienne
Wonder if you could advise on whether we should submit headteacher appeal report or not? The school appealed for our son and the panel comments were- "There are glimpses of real promise in some of the narrative work, however, the curriculum work presented for maths and science did not provide us with sufficient evidence to suggest the child could handle level of work required for a selective school".
Hence the school appeal failed.
Do you think this would go against our parental appeal if we were to submit this to a new panel?
By the way - we have really strong letters of support from headteacher and from class teacher stating suitability for grammar and level 5's etc, is this enough?
Also could you advise us what we should take to an appeal ie. school books, projects etc.
Thanks for all your fantastic advise so far.
Etienne

Re: headteacher appeal question for Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear kentmum2

As far as evidence from the school is concerned, if you have really strong letters of support from the headteacher and class teacher, then I think that should be sufficient.

For other indicators, see Q&As B11.

For some personal views on school work, see Q&As E13. However, I think it would be worth discussing this matter with your current headteacher, especially with regard to the previous panel's comment "the curriculum work presented for maths and science did not provide us with sufficient evidence to suggest the child could handle level of work required for a selective school".

Good luck
Etienne
cindy

headteacher appeal

Post by cindy »

another view.........

I understand that the appeal panel (but I dont know) may already have a copy of the Headteacher appeal, which as in my case too, did not have the desired result.

they state for yours "not sufficient evidence" , which would suggest that more would be required? for these two subjects.

personally, although I appreciate that you did not ask for my view....I think
putting it in would only reinforce the negative, and so I would look to prove
in my appeal factual evidence of achievment in those two subject, this would I think be best (with my limited knowledge)done with SAT's results to reinforce the positive..

good luck..........Cindy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If the panel get a copy of the headteacher appeal, then you'll know about it, because everyone should get exactly the same paperwork (about a week before the hearing).

If the previous comment was "insufficient evidence", I'd still be interested to know what more the current headteacher thinks should be provided.

Regards
Etienne
kentmum2

reply to Etienne

Post by kentmum2 »

Thank you Etienne. With regards to what the Headteacher would feel suitable work to submit, I get the impression that he his very inexperienced! Not ideal at all !!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now