Paying Fees and Tax Savings

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lefol

Paying Fees and Tax Savings

Post by lefol »

Hi All,

I read somewhere that you can save on indie fees if you are a high rate tax payer or save on your pension etc.... Sure I am not the only one who read this..anyone else heard of this? :?:
hermanmunster

Re: Paying Fees and Tax Savings

Post by hermanmunster »

used to be able a long time ago - not sure if you can now?
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Certainly not directly..but there may be some scheme, that may or may not have merit, that involves saving towards independent school fees that has some tax advantages.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the only one I can think of is if you pay the school up front for several years fees then you get a discount which may be greater than the interest (heavily taxed) which you would get from investment of the money. useful if you have some money saved up.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I saw that scheme on one of the boarding schools and was only left wondering how on earth someone affords quarter of a million in advance :shock:. It seems some people live from a very diff universe than the one I live in where average wages is £25K.
Last edited by sherry_d on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is more a case of when someone else is paying towards the fees eg grandparent or if there has been a fees saving plan which matured.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Grandparents can set up a trust fund for grandchildren. Income from the trust can be treated as being the grandchild's income and therefore taxed at (presumably) 0% or 20% instead of the 40% or 50% payable had the grandparents kept the monies themselves. Also potential inheritance tax advantages. Must be grandparents though - apparently it doesn't work for parents.
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Loopyloulou wrote:Grandparents can set up a trust fund for grandchildren. Income from the trust can be treated as being the grandchild's income and therefore taxed at (presumably) 0% or 20% instead of the 40% or 50% payable had the grandparents kept the monies themselves. Also potential inheritance tax advantages. Must be grandparents though - apparently it doesn't work for parents.
yes if parents do this then any income over £100 is treated as the parents income and taxed accordingly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now