Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
louise79

Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st?

Post by louise79 »

Hello and thank you in advance to anybody who can help me :?

I am new to this forum and feeling slightly confused!

My daughter did not pass her kent test, what will happen if I put a grammar school as 1st preference?
(I strongly wish for her to go to Clarendon as its a single sex school and feel this is the best route for daughter, and my son is at Chatham House and has gone from strength to strength)
I also live within 100mtrs of clarendon.
Will this mean automatic appeal? And what will happen to my other preferences ( I do not want to shoot myself in the foot so to speak!)
I am so confused as what to do for the best.
moved

Re: Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st

Post by moved »

I have no idea what will happen with regard to your grammar application after a non-pass, but with regard to any other schools then you are free to put what you wish on your form. None of the schools know what position they are in on your form, so they look at your criteria and offer a place accordingly. If you fulfil the criteria for a school they will offer you a place. The school that is highest up your list of preferences that offers you a place will be the school that you are allocated.

If you have a limited number of choices then you should be careful about what you put on your form. What you need to know is whether or not putting a grammar first is wasting one of your "precious" options. If not, then go ahead as you have nothing to lose.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

louise79 wrote:My daughter did not pass her kent test, what will happen if I put a grammar school as 1st preference?
Your daughter will not be given a grammar place if she didnt pass the 11+ test. You will have to appeal after allocation on 1 March to the grammar school of your choice and its not automatic either. If you are thinking of appealing, then its worth visiting the appeal board on this forum for more help.

You can find more info on appeals here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impossible is Nothing.
committed

Post by committed »

If you put your first preference of Clarendon first you won't get allocated a place there on March 1st - but you will be able to then appeal. I believe that when you haven't been given your first preference you'll be given details of how to appeal - but it is not automatic, you actually have to submit the relevant forms etc.

As we're equal preference, you will be allocated a place at your highest available choice, so you should still fill in the form according to your preferences, but beware, if you fill in all schools that you're unlikely to get (or don't initially qualify for) then you may be offered a school that is not on your list at all - and it is unlikely to be one you want... so you need to pick your choices wisely.

The other thing is that in Kent, as far as I'm aware, you can only appeal to schools that are on your form - but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As Sherry says, the appeals section is really fantastic.

Best of luck.
mystery

Post by mystery »

You can appeal to the grammar school whether or not you put it on your CAF. There is only a slight time advantage to putting it on your CAF and I don't know in reality if it would make any difference in the end to the timing of your appeal (preferably don't be in the last batch of appeals as the school will have stronger oversubscription arguments). So if you do have four other schools that you really want to put on the CAF, speak to KCC admissions about whether there is any advantage to putting the grammar on the form or not. You will not be allocated a grammar on 1 March so you are not denying yourself this opportunity by not putting a grammar school on the form.

Good luck.
Posthistoric19

Post by Posthistoric19 »

louise79, I appreciate slightly beside the point but from September years 7 to 10 boys and girls will be on the Chatham House site and will not be single gender apart from the teaching of core subjects (English & Maths).

On a presentation I attended at Dane Court the head (not sure of exact reasons why) said that if you were looking to get in on appeal was to put to high schools first and second on the list and then two grammar schools. I suggest you call the KCC choice advisors for advice.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

good advice from everyone. suggest you have a look at the appeals section especially the Q&A bit, to see whether you have a strong case for appeal.

the onus is on you at appeal to prove why a particular school is best for your child rather than why you don;t want the one one offered, so you need to be very sure of your facts and be well prepared.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think the head of Dane Court is out of date with Kent admissions system. Ignore that advice.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

louise79, you can only appeal for a school that you have listed on your CAF. You should list any grammar schools on your form that you want to appeal for - if you don't have the grammar school/s of choice on your form, you can't appeal for them.

My advice to you would be to put all the schools that you want on your form, and appeal after 1 March, but be realistic with the non-selective school/s as your grammar school choice/s will be automatically disregarded during the allocation process as your daughter didn't pass. Your offer letter on 1 March will explain how to appeal, the deadlines etc.

There is wealth of information on this site about appealing - look at the appeals section, feedback sticky, other posts etc. This will all help you to put your own case together.

Good luck :D
sianb

Post by sianb »

Hi Louise79,

Hope this isn't too late, but hope you have put Clarendon on your application form. My daughter passed and was one of only 2 girls, (out of 10ish) who selected Clerendon as first choice. I wondered if Dane Court was just more of a popular choice in Westgate, but from what other parents in Birchington and Margate are telling me, it may well be that Clarendon is undersubscribed. I have no experience of appeals procedure, but would guess that this would be no bad thing if you were hoping to appeal for this school.

Good luck and I hope you get the result you are looking for.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now