Kent appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoimah

Kent appeal

Post by yoimah »

Hello

My DD failed both the Kent test by 7 points. It was a shock as everyone was expecting her to pass, and the head teacher has already put in appeal which was unsuccessful. He said that she has always achieved a high academic standard and he feels that she should be going to a grammar school and would do well at one. Also, he has said he would be happy to sit down with us to write a statement for the parents' appeals process. Could anyone please help with the following points and how best to proceed?

1. We would like to get an idea of what kind of information we need in order to make a successful appeal.

2. When we do the appeal can we still make a reference to the fact that the head teacher has lodged an appeal on her behalf.

3. We are confused about why the head teacher's appeal was unsuccessful. Her school reports were always outstanding and she was selected for the gifted children's after school maths club, a parents' maths workshop and visits to the grammar school.

4. She also failed the Bexley test by 4 points. Is it worth appealing to Bexley council and how should we go about this?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
turtleglos

Re: Kent appeal

Post by turtleglos »

Hi yoimah, I cant really help other than to say read as much information as you can on this forum,good luck and Im sure there will be someone infitely better qualified to answer this than me along soon.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

yoimah wrote: He said that she has always achieved a high academic standard and he feels that she should be going to a grammar school and would do well at one. Also, he has said he would be happy to sit down with us to write a statement for the parents' appeals process. .
It is good you have such support from the head.
yoimah wrote:
1. We would like to get an idea of what kind of information we need in order to make a successful appeal.
What were her scores in the kent test? You need to prove she is of grammar ability partcularly if there is one area she failed. This means providing the panel with her school work and any good CATS or NFER school tests (if her school does them)
yoimah wrote: 2. When we do the appeal can we still make a reference to the fact that the head teacher has lodged an appeal on her behalf.
I would think that you could use the statement he intends to write supporting your dd;s application to grammar. Also i would think you would get a copy of this original HT appeal if it is to be submitted to the panel.
yoimah wrote: 3. We are confused about why the head teacher's appeal was unsuccessful. Her school reports were always outstanding and she was selected for the gifted children's after school maths club, a parents' maths workshop and visits to the grammar school.
That is something that would be interesting to know. I believe they give an indication of why it has not been sucessful. Maybe the work given in with the appeal was not of a high enough standard. Ask the head.
yoimah wrote: 4. She also failed the Bexley test by 4 points. Is it worth appealing to Bexley council and how should we go about this?
I dont think bexley appeals have a very high success rate - pop over to the forum and see or put in "bexley appeal" to the search box.

I expect an expert will be along soon to give better help than i have. If the school you are after is usually over-subscribed then you will also need to cover that in your appeal - why THAT school is best for your child.

Look through the Q and A's at the top of the appeal section and also the sticky called feedbaack from all areas - where others who have appealed share their experience.

This site will provide you with ooodles of info. Keep all your qestions to this thread, so your case is in one place. GOOD LUCK
yoimah

Yoimah

Post by yoimah »

Hi, thanks everyone for giving me your opinion/info.
Sally Anne or Etienne please help and tell me where to start and I would like to hear your thoughts on my queries for Kent and Bexley appeal.

Regards
Yoimah
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Yoimah,

I'm not sure if Etienne and Sally-Anne are around at the moment.

If you've not yet located the Q&A's you'll find them here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm afraid there is a lot to read but it does elaborate on some of the points tiredmum has already made.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

We had a similar experience... HT appeal was refused because the written work submitted was not "good enough".... the HT still thinks we need to appeal...
Days after the results I am not so sure I want to appeal anymore.. the non granmar near us are very good so it isn't necessarily a disaster!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We would like to get an idea of what kind of information we need in order to make a successful appeal.
You do need to read the Q&As as suggested above.
Academic evidence is summarised here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When we do the appeal can we still make a reference to the fact that the head teacher has lodged an appeal on her behalf.
Not sure I see the point, as it sounds as if the headteacher will be offering equally strong support for the independent appeal.
She also failed the Bexley test by 4 points. Is it worth appealing to Bexley council and how should we go about this?
From what I hear, Bexley appeals tend to be tougher. Not sure what information you get about appeals when you're outside the LA, but if you're not told anything in the first week of March, contact the grammar school (if it has foundation status) or Bexley LA (for a community school) and request their appeal form.
Etienne
emsy

Post by emsy »

I am in a different area but was in a similar situation 2 years ago - my daughter just failed the exams for 2 local grammar schools but was expected to pass both. We appealed for one with strong support from her headteacher and we were successful. I have sent you a PM.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Us too, my DD failed by 9 points on one paper but did well in the others. We had terrific support from our HT and her HT appeal failed as DD`s written work was not up to standard.
By the time we went to appeal some 9 months later, the area she was weak in had been worked on and improved dramatically. Her form teacher was sending her extra work home to target her specific weaknesses.
Having a supportive HT was a huge help, apart from anything else knowing she believed DD was capable made me more convinced I was doing the right think.
Happily our appeal was successful and DD is thriving at GS.....doing exceptionally well in her "weak" area :D