Spelling technique/books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mana

Spelling technique/books

Post by mana »

My 8 year old DD (year 4) needs to improve her spelling a great deal. Can you please suggest the best technique for me to follow and any good books to assist me? I find that dictating words to her is not effective as she still makes mistakes when writing sentences/paragraphs.
Thank you.
rosered100

Re: Spelling technique/books

Post by rosered100 »

I have used the wordshark programme with success for DS's aged 7 - 10. I bought my copy off ebay but watch as quite often they go for more than for a new one from the White Space company
http://www.wordshark.co.uk/
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

My son is an erratic speller and I've had to use a variety of books / techniques to raise his game.

I also personally endorse Wordshark 4 - it is excellent! It's fun and interactive. Not only does it teach spelling but puts the word into context through games, has mini cloze tests, crosswords and covers vocabulary up to KS 3 in all subjects.

Well worth it!
:D
mana

Post by mana »

Thank you both for your advice. I'll certainly check it out.
um

Post by um »

I find the Bond 'No Nonsense' English guides are excellent for spelling rules, and they are very affordable too.