Hexaganol matrices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firebrand1

Hexaganol matrices

Post by firebrand1 »

I saw a reference in KenR's excellent summary of the exam contents for previous years to hexaganol matrices. What are these please?
KenR

Re: Hexaganol matrices

Post by KenR »

The answer is that we don't really know that much as the Univ of Durham papers aren't available

Take a look at the following which gives a bit more insight into the content

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 52&start=0

Also look at some of the MidYis presentation material
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Ah - I see from your post that it was fm who mentioned hexaganol matrices. fm could you explain what these are please? :?
fm

Post by fm »

If you look at a Bond non-verbal book or an NFER/GL Assesment book, you will see normal matrices which tend to have four or six boxes where the shapes are related in some way. Hexagonal matices are similar but with a lattice of hexagons rather than squares. From memory this only made an appearance for one year so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Ultimately you can practice non-verbal all you like but, in the case of the KE test, it usually comes right back down to their innate ability in this area. Indeed the more you practise the usual suspects, the more your child may not cope very well with something entirely different.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

do plenty of jigsaws, spot the difference puzzles, mahhjong games online, tetris etc..they are all good for honing
nvr skills
moved

Post by moved »

When DD was going to take the Kent test we cut up lots of nets and played with them. It seemed to switch something on in her brain. She's always been good at jigsaws and 2D puzzles but couldn't visualise in 3D.
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Many thanks all :D . fm may I PM you please?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now