Which phone for a newbie secondary school kid?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rubyhettybetty

Which phone for a newbie secondary school kid?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Presumably PAYG - any recommended model? Me & DH are on Orange...
doodles

Re: Which phone for a newbie secondary school kid?

Post by doodles »

We got DS quite a cheap one - working on the basis that nobody would want to steal it from him and if he lost it it wouldn't be the end of the world - it is a slide up type one and came from T...co Direct. He is on T...co (that supermarket) tariff as for some reason it seems to have better reception than either DH or I.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

cheapest PAYG is the best - C..pho..war..use have plenty for under £10 + top up. not
too dinosaur like either...
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Us too...PAYG on Orange, no camera, nothing flash, think it cos less than £19.
Hopefully no one will nick it.....and i won`t want to throttle her so tightly if she loses it :oops: :shock:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yes, completely agree, I think DS's was £34 (don't tell him) including £20 credit.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Marvellous, she will have the surprise of her life if she gets that for her birthday in Dec - a full 9 months before she 'expects' it!
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Get a PAYG from mobiles.co.uk -the internet arm of carphone warehouse. 90p for a basic one with no camera & they are all unlocked so work with any sim card/network. Then get a sim from giffgaff (uses o2 network) charge it up (£10), then send for another sim & charge that up - you will then be given £5 free time/cash on both sims. All calls & texts between giffgaff are free otherwise it 's 4p for texts & 8p/min for calls.

DS & I are both on it & we can have good long conversations every night for free(up to an hour) as he is staying away from home atm.

The only problem is that, although the school said no camera phones & basic ones only please, when they went away on a school trip almost every boy had an internet enabled camera phone. You can guess what he came home wanting!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

DS had one (purchased from T hat E xtremely S uper C onvenient O rganisation) that cost £14.99 and came with £10 credit included in the price. Had it since last Christmas and barely used it til he started at school, and 4 weeks in he left it on the train..... :roll: Made him buy his next one, but that was only £24.99 (again came with £10 credit included in the price) although he thought it was 'amazing' :lol: :lol: :lol: No doubt it won't be long before he wants a better one, although having said that both his brothers have equally cheap handsets and just aren't bothered by the latest phones..... thank goodness!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Tesco also have a deal for 100mins for £6 a month but they credit check you for it and if your DD goes over you just get billed. The other one is a £10 monthly plan and it works out to be around 200-300mins, no credit checks and if she uses up her minutes that it. Asda mobiles work on any network and they are cheap. The one in Chatham has a very wide range, I used to get my phones from there before we had our ASDA here because my son damaged 6 phones when he was young.
Impossible is Nothing.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

OH, DS and I are with V*****, as we are with them for TV and landline. We have unlimited calls to each other. DS's deal is not quite the same as ours: for £8.50 per month he gets 100 mins and unlimited texts. He is under strict instructions to text rather than call from his mobile (he can use the home phone if he gets his friends' home numbers) unless it is an emergency, so he doesn't make full use of his 100 mins but the bill is always the same. During his first month he inadvertently accessed the internet several times, but they could tell that he hadn't been surfing the net so we were given a refund. As for the phone, it has a cool factor of minus something, but it was a freebie from when my brother worked for a mobile company - a no-brainer really!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now