do independent schools really treat you as a valued customer

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

absolute zero

do independent schools really treat you as a valued customer

Post by absolute zero »

There seems to be a belief in many of the threads on this website that one of the advantages of a private school is that as you are paying, something is more likely to be done about something you complain about. This has not been our experience. Are we just unlucky, or going about it the wrong way? Does anyone have any experience either way on this?

Post by Guest »

Can't say that I found it to be so. They helped where they could or where they found it appropriate but i can't say that I felt like a 'customer'. I would have felt uncomfortable if i did. At the end of the day.. I want them to feel sure about the points they stand on. If they bent to the pound I would feel the wool was being pulled over my eyes. What were you complaining about? It might be easier then to draw a comparison.
absolute zero

lack of action from independent school

Post by absolute zero »

Things we have had no luck asking for over several years are:

- copies of letters sent home in schoolbag with daughter not provided by school to non-resident father who only has fortnighly access but voluntarily pays fees

- inaction on giving extra support to daughter who was generally doing v. well academically but who finds reading arduous, and whose written English was not up to her other standards

- no careers guidance except a not very good software package which was administered before GCSE choices and not discussed individually with each child afterwards

- no answer when we ask when GCSE predicted grades are done

- no answer when we ask what is being covered when in the English Language GCSE syllabus

etc etc

Post by Guest »

Well.. on those points I would say you have a fair argument. I don't see these as unreasonable expectations. I would expect a better response from any school let alone fee paying. This is not my experience with our private school and I would request a meeting with the head with your issues laid out.

Post by Guest »

I think it really depends on the type of school and the nature of the complaint. Our school is owned and run by a woman who goes ballistic at any criticism of teachers, or her curiculum (not the national curiculum). She is very fair on any other matters i.e. problems with other kids, problems paying, special needs etc. It would probably be completely different in a large school run by a trust for example. Having experienced both state and independent I would say though that "customer service" however poor is a great deal better than the downright rude treatment we got at the state school!