Line though rather than shading on answer sheet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ahmed

Line though rather than shading on answer sheet

Post by Ahmed »

Hi

I am a little concerned that my DD undertook the 11plus yesterday and the first 18 answers she marked her answers by putting a clear line through the box rather than shading the answer box. She then realised that shading was required and carried on shading the rest of her test.

Should I worry about whether her first 18 answer would be picked up or not for marking?

Anyone with a similar experience, and should I flag it up?

Thanks
no_ball

Re: Line though rather than shading on answer sheet

Post by no_ball »

depends on how they are marked to a very small extent. If done by hand or computer scan? don't really know..
legaraal

Post by legaraal »

I contacted the KE foundation some weeks prior to yesterday's exam, and they confirmed to me (in writing) that the papers are not marked by computers, but by real people (this is contrary to what some people seem to believe, e.g. what was stated in the Big School Lottery programme). So I wouldn't worry about the line / shading issue.

Hope this helps.
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Hi legaraal

Thanks - that has calmed my nerves! :)
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

When a computer cannot read an answer sheet, it spits it out and therefore it is hand marked. Therefore, if your DD's sheet couldn't be read, it would be hand marked. However, it sounds as though they are hand marked anyway.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams