Penguin Club

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blessedmum

Penguin Club

Post by blessedmum »

Does anyone's dc use penguin club?
My dd has asked to join this and I have said I have to look into it and find out what its really all about. Apparently lots of her friends have an account.
I looked at the website but I do not think I have enough information to know what it entails, how safe it is and its use.
Comments welcomed. Thank you
capers123

Re: Penguin Club

Post by capers123 »

It's Club Penguin.

It's been owned by Disney for about 5 years. It's one of their least-tacky products (they bought it from the developers).

Very, very safe. Children are recruited to report any behaviour that could be nasty (be it name-calling or worse), so I've never seen anything at all dodgy on there. There are live help-desks in UK & elsewhere who monitor any problems reported (but do so in a very child-friendly way).

If you're paranoid, you can even set your children's accounts so they can only go to islands where they can only use pre-set responses, though most parents don't do so. I've got my own account, which I used to use mainly if DD2 had any problems with particular games. Apart from it is rather addictive.

You can play for free, but it's better to have a paid membership, as that opens the way to more options (a better range of clothes & igloos for your penguins. These are bought using points earned in games, so the cost doesn't increase). There are new games & events happening all the time.

I'd recommend it to anyone. It's not particularly 'educational' but does develop problem solving skills.
Capers
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

I'd agree with capers, my DCs love it. DD & friend's penguins meet at a pre-arranged time & island... The only issue we had was each DC wanting their own penguin and therefore own membership fee. :roll:
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Thanks for your feedback. I will think about getting it as a xmas present. Dont want to set the impression they can just have anything they want, whenever they want, especially if it costs money. Am sure she will be delighted
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Especially if it costs £37.95 for a year. i hope its worth it.
Josa

Post by Josa »

blessedmum,

I had the same reservations as you when ds ask if he could join a year ago and below is a link to the replies I got from the forum:

Must add that the novelty has since worn off and ds hardly go on it.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =38&t=9883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

my friends dd had it a few years ago and loved it - anyone know what age it is aimed at?
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

You can pay for one month's membership, then renew when that expires (or even wait a bit before renewing the same penguin - helpful if you want some something to bargain with :lol: ) or you can pay for 6 months at a time, monthly by DD etc. I've also seen gift cards for membership in WHS.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Josa wrote:blessedmum,

I had the same reservations as you when ds ask if he could join a year ago and below is a link to the replies I got from the forum:

Must add that the novelty has since worn off and ds hardly go on it.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =38&t=9883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Josa
I have read all the post and it seems the kids get bored after a short while. I might consider a 6mths membership instead of a year especially as she's going to Sec next Sept and may not be interested in it again.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

tiredmum wrote:my friends dd had it a few years ago and loved it - anyone know what age it is aimed at?
Tiredmum,

just had a look at the site and its says it is designed for 6-14 year olds but is open to all ages