Surrey County Council 3 preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

middlesex

Surrey County Council 3 preferences

Post by middlesex »

Dear all Iam new here, in terms of posting a message, but have been following this forum on and off since 07, older Ds in grammar, just putting younger Ds through the same process. Just wanted to voice my anger at Surrey County Council, so much so that I have lodged a Complaint, also with the Ajudicator, Over 3 preferences allowed for Surrey parents. I feel that the council is ignoring parents enquires, or requests as to lack of choice compared to other boroughs. i feel this needs to be addressed. Iam surprised that no-one else have got something started in-terms of a campaign. Any thoughts? :
mitasol

Re: Surrey County Council 3 preferences

Post by mitasol »

Hi middlesex,

This was raised earlier, it seems you are not alone in being unhappy with the situation.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &hilit=caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Dear middlesex

I would like to join in this campaign -( I wish it becomes one )- I agree this is really unfair for those living in Surrey.Please let me know the process you have followed - if you have been given a reference number etc...let me know - I will quote it as well.
Regards
Queenma
middlesex

Post by middlesex »

Thankyou all for the quick reply. I have posted a letter 4th Nov to Mrs Birt Admissions and Transport officer Surrey council, and to the Adjudicator lodging a formal complaint against Surrey County Counicl, the same date, so Iam waiting for a reply. Will keep you all posted. My daughter goes to a surrey primary school and speaking to quite a few parents, who have voiced their concerns, and that some of them had contacted Surrey council. when I submitted my Caf I then added 3 extra schools, and asked them to take them into account. They wrote back with the gerneral reply that other parents have been told ie: no grammar schools in surrey and not enough demand. I think they are suppressing the enquires, complaints/evidence from parents etc...so are not being transparent. Their admission arrangements which they say they consult every year is not sufficent, they are asking us to consult their website. which i have done twice in 3 years, only because of registering online for a school. I have my own council which is Spelthorne. If anyone else can come up with any legal arguments to support this case I will be grateful.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You could also send your complaint to the Surrey admissions forum. http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/s ... endocument" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QUEENMA

Post by QUEENMA »

Thanks all
I will also do my best - ironically work for Surrey County Council as well !
Queenma
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

I phoned County Hall several weeks ago about this and was told they hadn't had any other complaints :shock: clearly not true. I don't think they take into account that lots of us apply out of borough to grammar schools, it's very unfair when neighbouring boroughs have 6 preferences. I wanted to put Glyn on the form for my DS but couldn't risk him not getting either grammar or top 35 out of borough at Glyn as we would then be left without a school place.
middlesex

Post by middlesex »

Brill the more responses we get the more evidence, so please please keep posting, I can show evidence from parernts interest. But once I hear from the Council and Adjudicator i will let you know.Please anyone who has any legal experience let me know. : :We need to get something changed, it has gone on too long. HELP!!!
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

I find it disturbing how many people have been told by Surrey that they were the only ones to have raised this issue!

This year is worse for the boys as Wallington Grammar are no longer supplying rank or any indication of a possible place, whereas in previous years most people who took the test knew whether they had a place or not before submission of the CAF.

Surrey are due to start their annual admissions consultation sometime this month, and it is important that as many people as possible raise the legitimate issue of additional choice, so they can't continue to deny that there is any demand. I am keeping an eye on the Surrey County Council website for any details and will post updates here as and when they are available.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

I raised this issue with Surrey nearly five years ago, it was the year after the PAN London Admissions system came in and Surrey was the only out of London borough in the system and the only borough with 3 preferences rather than six. I didn't get very far with it and the adjudicator said I could not complain as it had to come from a council or school. Hopefully things have moved on for you and you get somewhere with this.