Should I allow my DS to play 18+ games??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SEP18

Should I allow my DS to play 18+ games??

Post by SEP18 »

Should I let my Year 7 DS play these games? Not sure if I'm being too strict in not letting him at the moment ... Lots of his friends at GS play them and of course, the big talk of the playground at the moment is the new release "Bl_ _ _ O _ _ _".

Would very much appreciate some feedback ..... Am I too strict??? :x
yogkruti

Re: Should I allow my DS to play 18+ games??

Post by yogkruti »

I really despise these shooting oriented, extremely gory and violent "games".

All of them are the same brainless trash and the big corporations keep fleecing 40 odd quid from each family, every Xmas on this. Easy money!

It's amazing the way these terribly graphic games get advertised. Even kids as young as 4 know about it and want to play it.

I'm trying to wean my DC off such dreary console games. Only things like scrabble, monopoly, FIFA/Cricket etc are allowed.

If that's being strict... so be it!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry, wouldn't allow DS (Yr 7) to play them. I really don't worry when he tells me that "absolutely everybody" is playing them 'cos half the time it's, how shall we say, an exaggeration!
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I only allow my DS to play games/watch movies akin to his age. If that means he misses out on some birthday parties that are movie based and above his age rating then so be it. In year 4, one parent was taking kids to see Hancock!!
KB

Post by KB »

I agree - they are rated as an 18 for good reason.

Might become more difficult once they get to year 11 but even then I was/will be pretty strict about it.
Once DC1 got to that age he wasn't really that interested anyway.
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

doodles wrote:Sorry, wouldn't allow DS (Yr 7) to play them. I really don't worry when he tells me that "absolutely everybody" is playing them 'cos half the time it's, how shall we say, an exaggeration!
That phrase has been used, more than once!!

Thank you for your responses - I was undecided ........ glad it's not just me!!
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

I'm completely with OP & everyone else, my DS asked for an 18-rated game (one of these awful shooting games) for his upcoming birthday & my answer.........a great big fat NO!!!! Yes a couple of his friends have had access to these types of games but I'm certainly not giving in on this basis. I feel very strongly that even wrestling type of games affect his behaviour so no way on earth am I letting him have one of these. So, do I think you're too strict...errrmmm...no :lol:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Personally, I wouldn't. Pokemon and chess are as gladiatorial as I'll allow!
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I would like to say that my dcs stick to the age however this would be a lie. Ds1 recently downloaded a sims game(age 12),he's 10. I allowed him to keep that one although I am emailed whenever he buys something and have warned him that if we dont feel it's appropriate it will be deleted. We also watch films first and decide if our dc's can see them. Games that encourage dcs to steal,kill,etc for entertainment are a no in my house, and if dc's visit friends I ask that they not be allowed to use them there. Maybe I am too strict,time will tell. :wink:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I used to feel the same way as all above but have now changed my mind. They're Y8 & Y10.

I'll let them play war based ones like Call of Duty, but I've never let them have Grand Theft Auto, as that is just random violence.

I can also say that I haven't seen a change in their characters since they have been playing them and also people are always complementing me on how well behaved and polite my DSs are.

At the end of the day you never know what games they play around other people's houses and I would rather know what they are playing and know that they can talk to me if any thing bothers them rather than not allow them point blank.

I think my DS1 was about 12 when I let him start playing CoD, but that was after his Grandad (who was about 65 at the time, and is very strict and responsible) said that it was ok as he had the game.

I would however also like to say that I wouldn't let a child under the age of 12 play them, but I think as long as they are old enough to understand that it's just a game and does in no way represent real life then I really don't see the harm.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now