Guidance on QM exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
floozey

Guidance on QM exam

Post by floozey »

DD sat the KE exam on Sat.

Unfortunately I am not so confident that she has got through due to her missing so questions out on NVR and her finding the comprehension quite hard.

Anyway I hope I am suprised and that she gets either KE or Sutton, however I need to make sure she is well prepared for the QM exam in a few weeks.

Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated - format, level of difficulty in comparison to the KE and Warwick exam, etc.
mike1880

Re: Guidance on QM exam

Post by mike1880 »

Our daughter said the KE and Warwickshire exams were identical this year in terms of format, types of question and degree of difficulty, and last years's QM exam was said to be very much like the previous Warwickshire exam so I think you can take it that all three of them are now like peas in a pod. Any child may perceive or experience a particular exam as more or less difficult on the day of course.

I wouldn't worry unduly about your daughter missing questions in the KE exam. Most children will have done (ours certainly did!). It doesn't matter unduly if you have a bad section here and there, it's how the whole thing adds up that matters and none of us can judge that.

Mike
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The Queen Mary exam is 'easier'. The kids do not coming out of this one with tummy aches and pale faces.
The competition for it too, is lower. For some reason, most parents find the idea of 'travelling' a few extra miles each day to school and back, a bit daunting, so you will have an advantage here.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams
um

Post by um »

I agree that there is less competition for QM, but not that it is easier.
This may have been true in the past, but from last year they have had a CEM style test.
My son found it far harder than the KE Grammar exam. He said it was 'as he was expecting the KE exam to be' - some questions he found impossible, tough time limits etc (He did not find the KE exam fiendishly difficult).
That said, we received his results for QM and he would still have received a place, as a 'lower' mark will therefore still secure a place there, but got into CH instead.
Although there is less competition than CH, there are still a lot of disappointed children for QM, I wouldn't be complacent.
floozey

Post by floozey »

Thanks for all your help.

Um, was the exam overall harder or certain sections?

I have given DD time off after the KE exam and will start the ball rolling again this weekend. Her comprehension is not brilliant but I don't think we have time to improve this for the exam.
um

Post by um »

no caps got baby

i really wish i could be of help here but my son simply says he can't remember, he doesn't know, and he doesn't work as well in the afternoons and had a cold... :roll:
i think the main thing was, he had it in his head after bv, ke and handsworth all going pretty well for him, that this exam would be a doddle...and it wasn't, which must have come as a surprise.
he did seem to struggle with a question about roundabouts, exits and numbers of cars entering and leaving, but sadly as a year has passed he has little memory left of the details.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Clarendon posted a comment about last year's QM exam a while back:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 52#p191352

I don't know how relevant one child's experience is to any other child though.

Mike
mad?

Post by mad? »

um wrote:no caps got baby
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now