Mold/mildew stain removal - help

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andyb

Mold/mildew stain removal - help

Post by andyb »

DS1 brought home his once-white lab coat today and chucked it in the washing basket because "it's covered in black and brown speckles". I am pretty sure it has started to go moldy because it has got damp and then been left screwed up in the bottom of his school bag. I have put it through a hot wash with Vanish but it looks just as bad now as before, although it smells nicer. My next course of action would be bleach but I'm worried that it would make the lab coat disintegrate. I don't want to have to buy a new one - he hasn't grown into this one yet! Any ideas on how to remove the stain gratefully (desperately) received.
yoyo123

Re: Mold/mildew stain removal - help

Post by yoyo123 »

I'd reckon a mild bleach solution, or maybe some oxy-action type thingummy like napisan
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Vanish oxi action (other brands available) .... or even Germ-o-nator or Octi-Kleen... ha ha been watching too much Apprentice!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hermanmunster wrote:Vanish oxi action (other brands available) .... or even Germ-o-nator or Octi-Kleen... ha ha been watching too much Apprentice!!!
eight hands are definitely better than 2 * lewd wink* ..I haven;t seen anything like that since the Aviance advert in the seventies..
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I just looked that up. Don't remember it, but yes, the similarities are alarming!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

hermanmunster wrote:Vanish oxi action (other brands available) .... or even Germ-o-nator or Octi-Kleen... ha ha been watching too much Apprentice!!!
Absolutely :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

You get a lab coat?!?!!?? Pity the poor proles whose kids do all this lab stuff in normal, erstwhile 'White' shirts.
Vanish is pants.
And blimey I'm speaking as an ex-Saatchi employee, gagging to believe in Product with a capital P.
Still, I think once mildew's sauntered in, you've had it, non? No wonder I'm an English advocate. No nasty stains.
doodles

Post by doodles »

If it is cotton and completely white soak it in bleach solution - won't do it any harm, I regularly bleach DS's white pe shorts and socks, even applying neat bleach if necessary :o :o

If you are feeling less brave you can buy something called Ace (which is specifically laundry bleach) it is not as good as the ord stuff but is better than all these powder stain removers.

Good luck
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

gone are the days when junior docs used to wear them in hospital - fab big pockets to keep everything! ... where do they hide it all these days??? Anyway they used to get dumped in a bin and a new one put on - the old ones were then treated to an industrial cleaning process which I assume (being cotton) was very very hot - not sure if they were bleached too as the greens and blues had the same process and came back .... still green and blue... Still worth trying the "hot" wash .... also soda crystals?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ooh Soda Crystals, Herman, those are lurking at the back of my cupboard too. Brilliant for cleaning!

I know all the processes - DH would say pity I don't use them more often :lol: :lol: :lol: