How can I find out my DS's score in the KE test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lemur

How can I find out my DS's score in the KE test?

Post by lemur »

My DS sat the KE test on Saturday. After the school places are allocated on 1st March, is it possible to find out what his actual score was? Or his placing relative to the other candidates?
fm

Re: How can I find out my DS's score in the KE test?

Post by fm »

If he fails to win a place or does not win his first choice, then, yes, you can find his score and position very easily. You just put a request in writing and they will give you his scores and position on waiting list.

If he has passed for his first choice, then you will find it more difficult as they are reluctant to issue the scores in these circumstances but you can eventually get them from the foundation offices if you are insistent. Initially, however, their time will be understandbly focused on enquiries from disappointed/distraught parents whose children have not won places.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

If a place is won at any of the KE schools then there's no harm in trying.

It does niggle me that the results of children who win a place at KEGs are not disclosed. Also, if they are hand marked, there is the issue of errors and possible re-marking. It happens at GCSE where many more candidates are involved, so why not for CEM assessment also?

But it does matter how persistent you are. I did put it in writing (quoting relevant legislation) to the KE Foundation, but the Head at KECH was adamant in not revealing DS' results- only stated that it was above the pass mark!!! Coming from a legal background, I know I could have pushed it further but chose not to simply because I didn't want our relationship with the school to become sour.

Someone told me that parents in the past have been successful in gaining their child's results but perhaps that was over a couple of years ago (and the Head at KECH is relatively new). :roll:
Last edited by DIY Mum on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
um

Post by um »

My son also happily passed for his first choice KE, so I waited a while (no need to jam the phone lines or take heir time when we had the result we wanted) and then I phoned for his score. I was told that I couldn't have it as he had passed for his first choice. I did get the QM, BV and Handsworth scores easily though. I knew I could probably pursue the matter but decided not to. I thought, if he did very well, it could make ds feel superior and could make me less focused with ds2. And I thought that if he had just scraped in, then it could knock ds's confidence and impair his ability to shine at CH with the knowledge in the back of his head, that he only just made it.
So his score will always be a mystery. Ds2 really wanted to know it so he could beat it. But half a term into CH, I don't suppose it matters too much anyway. What matters is how he is doing now, and I'm happy with that.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Personally, I'm hoping not to be told our daughter's KE score for obvious reasons. I'm hoping we'll get our Warks score but I'm not sure if we will, not having applied for a school there.

Mike
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

DIY Mum wrote:It does niggle me that the results of children who win a place at KEGs are not disclosed. :roll:
Why?

I’d fully support the Foundation not releasing actual scores/ranking to pupils who are not appealing for a school they placed higher on the CAF – I can only imagine poor outcomes otherwise.

If a parent is concerned that their child might have only just scrapped a place (and might be happier in a private school with less academic pressure) then couldn’t they just ask that question?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Dibble wrote:
DIY Mum wrote:It does niggle me that the results of children who win a place at KEGs are not disclosed. :roll:
Why?

I’d fully support the Foundation not releasing actual scores/ranking to pupils who are not appealing for a school they placed higher on the CAF – I can only imagine poor outcomes otherwise.

If a parent is concerned that their child might have only just scrapped a place (and might be happier in a private school with less academic pressure) then couldn’t they just ask that question?
Eventhough our DS is thriving, I do feel that parents should have the right to know the full results- (especially if you've tutored them and want a breakdown of their scores in each area!).

Does 'knowing' the results or rank make any difference to pupils' performances at some selective schools (who do reveal the results)- I doubt it. I have six family members who are in various super-selective schools: all know of their results and regardless of this knowledge- they're all performing well- infact, some better than expected.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

But if they gave the results out , it would spoil the departments ability to hide info for no real reason.

Remember their anthem ....

" We know something you dont ... na na nanana "
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

None of the KE Heads seem to want to give out entrance scores for pupils who are in the schools. I asked where my DS had come in the KES entrance test when he was already in the 6th form, but the school wouldn't tell me even though I had a valid reason for wanting to know which I explained to them. As they had charged £20 or so for taking the test I was not pleased - at least the grammar school test was free. The grammar heads share the same agreement, so you would need to ask the head teacher of the school if you want to know, as the Foundation Office staff presumably can't go against the instructions of the heads. Good luck though, you will need to be more persuasive than I managed to be, and I think it would be a brave parent who threatened one of the KE Heads with legal action to get the information. :shock:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I would have thought it's information you're entitled to have under the DPA and if you're really determined to have it there's probably nothing the school can do to avoid telling you?

Mke