Waiting Lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brenda Jean

Waiting Lists

Post by Brenda Jean »

Hi all,
I am having second thoughts about the preference order of schools I put on my CAF.
If say I got a school above the one I would now like, could I go on the waiting list on March 1st like everone else that didn't get it?
and - Would I be treated the same as everyone else on the waiting list or would I be penalised for not having put it higher in the first place?
This is a SS school so select on score.
I just want to know what options there are so we are prepared nearer the time.

Thanks - any advice welcome............!! :D
SSM

Re: Waiting Lists

Post by SSM »

Yes you can go on the waiting list, with no prejudice shown against you as the schools stick to their oversubscription criteria. You can also appeal if you so choose to.
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Thanks SSM. looking at the scores over the last few years for this school my son would have got in on first round had we have requested it higher up on our list. So would this would mean that the first few places that were turned down on March 1st goes to the higest scorers still?
Many thanks
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Yes, once the first allocations are made and any places are turned down, they apply their selection criteria in the same way as in the first round of allocations. So if they select on score only they will take the highest scoring children on the waiting list.
Brenda Jean

Post by Brenda Jean »

Thanks you Kentsussexborder - much appreciated
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that sounds right.

If you are talking about Judd or Skinners and your son scored a super-high mark you may be able to get a feel of his chances of getting in off the waiting list by searching around in the old threads on here. There will be info on the 1 March cut-off score, and some scores of children who got in off waiting lists - all things being equal, if your son scored higher than people are saying they got in off the list with in previous years, then he's in with some kind of a chance, unless the waiting list is super-popular this year or if everyone says to their 1 March offer of a place at this school.

Say yes to your 1 March offer when it arrives. Go on waiting lists and appeal for whatever you want. You are not restricted to CAF schools. If you did not put a school on your CAF you just have to wait a little longer to go on the waiting list and appeal.

IMHO, if your child can get into a superselective, I'd go for it.
Flybynight

Post by Flybynight »

Hi Brenda Jean,
I remember a case a couple of years ago where parents had not put Judd at all on their CAF form. Their son scored 420, they changed their mind and they contacted the school after school allocation. They were offered a place pretty much straight away. I think this was more common when CAF Forms had to be filled in before the 11+ results were out. If your son scored highly, why not 'phone the school that you want and ask for some advice.
mystery

Post by mystery »

This sounds slightly fishy. They could only have been offered a place straightway if it was after the date (see admissions booklet) when people who have not put the school on their CAF can go on the school waiting list / appeal. It would not have been possible on 1st or 2nd March for example. On the right day, 420 would have put them up the top of the waiting list so they would have been amongst the first of the second batch (because it wasn't on their CAF) to be offered places that others had refused.

The OP has put the school on the CAF, so they will be able to go on the waiting list and lodge an appeal on 1 March if they are not allocated a place because they put it lower down their form. But they couldn't be made an offer until the date shown in the booklet for "re-allocations".

It is possible they might be allocated a place on 1 March if the higher choices on the CAF are full and the student has made the cut-off score for the superselective concerned.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

depends when it was - there used to be application forms for each LEA so some people applied to more than one and were offered places in more than one LEA - hence there was MUCH more movement and juggling after allocation and some people were offered several places.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now